Friendships, Affection and Mehendi

"Be someone recognized for having a beautiful heart. So when you leave, that memory of you lingers."- Mufti Menk

******

Adil house was bustling with people of varied ages this bright morning. The henna function was to be held at the home itself and so women from around the neighborhood were invited to get their hands decorated with the henna. But it was the little girls who were more than excited to get their hands colored. The cooks were to cook various dishes to be served to the guests and men of the house were appointed to keep an eye on them and help them with the things they needed.

The noises outside interrupted Nargis' sleep and her eyes opened to the brightly lit room. She sat up with a jolt only to realize that she had missed fajr salah. Dropping her head in her hands she whispered Astaghfirullah and then proceeded to recite the dua'a recited upon waking up followed by ayat-al-kursi. A soft click of the door made her look up to see Mehreen coming out of the washroom, her hair secured in a towel. She smiled at Nargis making her return the gesture.

"You are awake! Go on now freshen up. I'll ask someone to bring your breakfast. You can have it here only, as outside..lets just say that many 'strangers' are having a blast" Mehreen rolled her eyes making her chuckle.

"Don't laugh. I don't know why ammi goes all out and invites so many people whom we don't even know" she whined. Nargis smiled softly.

"Its okay Mehreen. She just wants as many people to share her happiness with. And by the way you look good. This colour really suits you" Nargis complemented her to take her mind off the topic seeing how she was sulking. But that was not a lie. Mehreen was looking very pretty in the bottle green sharara she was wearing.

"Really?" her eyes lit up and she ran to stand in front of the mirror, while taking off the towel from above her head, smiling widely.

Nargis had noticed how simple and a gentle soul Mehreen was. It was so very easy to make her happy. There were so many layers to her character that she had come to know in a day yet she was so lovable that even the iciest person wouldn't be able to refrain himself from loving her. One moment she could act mature and the very next second she could turn all childish demanding favors from her parents and her beloved brother.

"Really" she told her sincerely as if talking to a child. Mehreen thanked her shyly. As she watched her selecting her earrings, a sudden realization made her gasp. The last thing she remembered was her working on the laptop at the study table. But after that it's all blank. How did she reached the comforts of the bed was beyond her knowledge.

"Umm..Mehreen.. How did I reach the bed?" she asked slowly, embarrassed at her dense self.

"Aah.. Don't you remember?"

Nargis shook her head in a no as a small smirk tugged at Mehreen's lips.

"You slept while working, I guess. When I woke up at around three to go the washroom, I saw you then." She stopped as if calculating her next words. Nargis urged her to go on and felt as if her next words were sure going to be the death of her.

"Then I called Bhai and he picked you up and laid you on the bed." She revealed nonchalantly and Nargis' eyes bulged out of their sockets.

"What?" she shrieked causing Mehreen to jump on her seat.

_________________

After quickly having breakfast, Nargis packed her bag when the room was devoid of Mehreen. She was in the living room along with the other ladies getting henna done. She had left some ten minutes ago and had sternly told her to join her after eating. But that was the last thing on Nargis' mind.