<Chapter 18>

<Betty's POV>
After I got back home and got maybe a few hours of sleep, Munae called. "I got a job for us today." I rolled over and stretched out my limbs. "For us?" I asked groggily. "Yes," she answered back. "You sound like yeen get no sleep?" she asked gently.

There was a pause.

"What time you want me to come in?" I asked.

"Any time. Today's job is special."

"I like how I was only supposed to do two jobs for you and now I feel like a real worker," I sighed, sitting up. "You're always free to go," she said in a light voice. "You sure?" I asked skeptically, still knowing that I'd stay anyways. "Positive," Munae chuckled. "Well...I trust you, so I suppose I'll keep working for you...Boss."

"Yeah..well, just call me to come pick you up."

"Wait, what time does the job end?"

"Got somewhere to be?" she asked.

"I-

"It's fine....Um, probably by the afternoon. And then we might get something to eat?" she asked the last part hopefully. "Sure," I agreed. I was still full from the pizza, but I'm sure I'd be hungry by then too.

I hung up, got dressed, and called Munae to pick me up. I straightened up my place while I waited for her, thinking about tonight.

Should I invite Munae even though the reason why I'm going is to figure out if I should even like her....our...kind? Probably not. She'll only be a distraction. Munae pulled up and began unlocking my door. I rolled my eyes at her audacity, but got up and met Munae at the door. We awkwardly stood in front of each other for a second. Then Munae leaned up to me to kiss my lips. I had on my boots today, I forgot that I was showing off my height.

"Damn boots make me feel short," she scowled. "I'll get you some too then," I smirked. She rose a brow. Probably not used to me being flirtatious. Maybe if I thought of her as a fem this would work. "It's um...we're going to check out a party gone wrong. The reason why I brought you with me..is uh, cause it's in a neighborhood close by," she explained, "and you'd probably know better."

"Damn, I'm surprised my phone hasn't been blowing up if it was so close by. I wonder if they even got school at da high schools today then," I commented. We walked to her car, and she held open my door for me. "Appreciate it," I said. "I'll ask my cousin about it later on," I said buckling myself up. I thought I saw Munae stiffen, but she turned towards me instead. "What you see might be a little nasty. If you can't handle it, we can always leave."

"Munae, I don't know bout you, but I grew up in da hood and I've been around you. I've seen some pretty nasty things."

She closed her car door and looked down worriedly as she put on her seatbelt. It was a little chilly today so she turned on the heated, starting the car and beginning to drive. "You don't gotta be worried. I know my limitations. Plus, I watch horror movies," I smirked. "Horror movies are entertaining," she smiled.

"Agreed."

We pulled past DaToya's house and worry caught my heart, but I ignored it. My cousin was smart. We pulled up to some abandoned house. "Where's the crime scene tape?" I asked. "The cops don't know yet," she told me with a solid face. "C'mon, my niggas inside already running what they need to."

I got out the car and followed her inside. I covered my mouth. "Was this recent? Why does it smell so horrible?"

"Somebody burned the feet of the people inside and rubbed their bodies in popcorn grease and littered ashes over them. I don't know what type of vaping crack addict did this, but they on some pretty fucked up shit."

"Bro, this is a whole serial killer," I said, looking around. "No, it was my guys," Munae said calmly, "it was just the wrong people." I walked around, looking carefully at the faces. Just the wrong people? No matter what they've done, these people deserved to live. A fucked up person was not born fucked up. It wasn't their fault. They either learned it...or it could have even been their parent's genes. Everybody deserves help, life, love. How could Munae be so calm about this?

"Munae..." I frowned.

She was staring at the body of a girl. My breath caught. DaToya's friend. "Oh my God," I covered my mouth. A few people inspecting the bodies looked up at me but kept quiet. I pulled out my phone and immediately started to dial DaToya. Munae snatched my phone and held it over her head like I wasn't taller than her. If anything, she should hold it down since it'd take me a while to get there due to my height.

"Once the cops know you can call her. I'm sure she was messing with the wrong crowd: Think of it as this, your cousin now has one less bad influence." I shook my head, "I don't even know if she was the bad influence. I don't even know her name."

"All the better for when the cops asks questions."

"Packin up, Boss," a female said.

"Ight," Munae answered.

"I'm sure your cousin is alright, Betty. I'll try in all of my power to keep your family safe. I won't let another Murriz happen," she said seriously. She reached and hugged me and I believed her.

I believe a murderer.