The night everything changed

Chapter Nine

Four months ago

Storm

"Zara, our cookies are gonna be burnt!" I screamed, running down the stairs like crazy.

"Sorry, I forgot to set the timer!" she laughed, following me to the kitchen.

"Girls, what's happening? Why does it smell like barbecue?" Mrs. N asked, chuckling at our reactions.

"Aah, they're hot!" Zara squealed when she tried to pull the pan out of the oven.

"You stupid little fuck," I laughed, grabbing it with a towel instead.

"They're burnt," Zara pouted, putting her fried fingers under the water.

I grabbed a cookie and smashed it against the pan. "It's literally hard as a rock," I cackled.

"Let me make you girls some proper cookies," Mrs. N meddled in, already pulling out the ingredients.

"You guys start, I need to call Sar," I excused myself and left the kitchen, dialing his number.

When he didn't answer I tried again. And again, again, again.

He never answered.

I ran to the kitchen, dragging Zara outside.

"What's wrong, boo?" she asked me, concern radiating off her.

"Sar he- he isn't answering my calls!" I panicked, looking at the texts I'd sent him.

He never replied.

She placed her hands on my shoulders. "Take a deep breath, Storm. He's probably just in the shower or he fell asleep. It's already past midnight."

"No, no, no!" I shook my head, removing her hands from me. "He would've said something. He always does. Zara, we have a rule. He would always reply to my texts so I know everything is okay. And right now it's not!"

"Okay," she thought, looking at the floor. "Lemme grab my keys and we'll head to his house."

I nodded, waiting for her outside. I texted Orsen to see if he's still in town, but he's already in college.

Fuck.

"Let's go," Zara appeared next to me and grabbed my hand, walking to her car.

"Zara, I'm scared," I admitted as she started the car, speeding out of the driveway.

"You have nothing to be scared for, honey. Sar is okay," she assured me, although my gut was telling me something else.

"I don't want to lose him," I whimpered.

"Storm! Stop that right now. Sar is fine, he's probably planning a special day for your guys' anniversary, so he's not able to pick up his phone."

For the rest of the ride, we drove in silence. She was focusing on the road because it was late and I was praying to God or whoever was up there in charge.

Please, let him be okay.

I need to see him smile and kiss him tomorrow when we go on our date. I need to see him smile when I walk down the aisle or when he holds our first child.

"We're here," she announced and parked the car in the driveway.

"You have the key?" she asked me and I nodded.