Chapter 20

(Nick)

I walk down the halls of the hospital, back and forth, pacing. It helps keep my mind off what's happening inside the room. Jennifer's been asleep for the last six hours. The doctor said the babies will be okay and we can see them in a few hours. I can't sleep. They didn't offer me any sleeping pills like they did her. I slip back into the hospital room and find Jennifer still asleep in her hospital bed. I walk up to her and wipe the sweat off her forehead and move her hair off of her face. I carefully pick her hand up off her chest and hold it. It feels relaxing to be able to touch her, even though she's not awake. I feel less nervous when she's here.

I wake to the sound of two babies crying. "I tried to keep them quiet but they're hungry." The nurse looks at me apologetically. She looks over at Jennifer who's still sleeping. "I'll wake her up." It's better I do it than a stranger. "Jen, Ali and Collin need you to feed them so you have to get up for a minute okay?" I gently shake her shoulder. She wakes up and looks around. "Okay." She mumbles, rubbing her eyes. "You only have to do it for a few days then you can stop." The nurse gives me a look but I ignore it. "Okay, I'll feed Collin first." She sits up. "Here." I carefully hand her Collin. He's so much smaller than Ali. The nurse leaves. I don't think she likes us much. "I know she wants you to keep doing it but I asked the doctor. He said they won't need it after the first few weeks." I try to make her feel better.

(Jennifer)

My stitches hurt like hell. I carefully sit up so I can sign their birth certificates. I write as clearly as I can manage. Alison shrader hoult and Collin Ryan hoult. I smile at Collins middle name, just like Josh's. "I love it. I'm glad I let you pick." Nick says, as he signs.

The nurse walks in and checks on Collin and Ali, then me. "You guys are free to go unless you have any questions." She waits for us to answer. "Okay thanks. I think I got everything." I carefully get up. I get myself cleaned up and Nick packs our stuff. I can't wait to get home and sleep.