Chapter 36

(Jennifer)

I'm woken up by the sound of someone else in the room. It's Nick, he's pacing. I sit up and look around. "Jen!" He turns to me. "Where were you? You just left all the sudden and I waited up for you." I unbutton the flannel, I was sweating in my sleep again. "I know, I know. I'm sorry. I went for a drive and to get something to eat." I say, running my fingers through my hair. "What happened? Everything was going so well and then you just freaked out all the sudden." I sigh. I know what he means. "I just felt bad." He touches my leg and I move it away. "What's going on? You were fine with me touching you before? More than fine actually." The last view weeks we've barely done anything but sex. "I know. It's just.... It's about Chris...I just." I start stuttering. "You saw him again? Didn't you? I saw the bags in the car." I stare at him, waiting for him to finish. "No. I wasn't with him..... I just...I don't know I had this dream and it made me feel really bad, so I just had to leave for a while." I wish I had a better explanation. "Well,what was the dream about?" He asks, sitting down with me. "I was pregnant and I was sitting on his bed in his house and I couldn't move or talk or anything and he was touching me then he started kissing me and I pushed him away and woke up." He looks relieved. "It was just a dream. You're not really pregnant, right?" He says. "I don't know." I run my finger through my hair. "How do you not know?" I'm making this worse by telling him. "I don't know. I mean I know I was drunk that night and I just remember being in his room and he was kissing me, so I don't know if he used protection or not." I say, remembering how much the room was spinning. I feel nauseated thinking about it. "Well, do you want me to take you to a doctor or something?" He asks. "No. I just want to stay here today. I'm still not feeling well and I haven't showered in a while and I just need to stay home." I say, starting to get up. "Okay. I'll be back. I've got somewhere to go." He gets up and walks out. I don't bother asking him where he's going.

I get up and get some clothes out of the dresser and take them to the bathroom with me. I start the shower and get undressed. The water warms my body up and relaxes me. I wash my hair and body thoroughly, making sure to get all the sweat off. Then I get out and dry off.

I go downstairs and into the kitchen. I look through the fridge and find strawberry yogurt. I get graham crackers out of the cabinet and crunch them up in it. Then I take it to the living room. I turn on the tv just as Nick is walking in. He sets some bags down in the kitchen, then sits down next to me. "Here, try this." He sets a bag on my lap. I finish my yogurt and set it down on the table. Then I open the bag. "Did you buy the whole store?" I ask, pulling out all the different boxes of pregnancy tests. I laugh and carry them upstairs to the bathroom.

I come back downstairs not much longer. "So, uh, I think I'm pregnant." I say, holding out the handful of tests I have in my hand all positive.