Chapter 17: Zeke Meets Kanga

The next day, Zeke woke up to the bright sun shining on him. He still looked goth when he woke up. He walked over to the picture of his parents and sighed still wondering where they were. He got to a bookshelf and looked at the books Chernabog and Maleficent had. He also looked at their movies. They had a whole bunch of horror films and books about Satanic stuff with witchcraft and dark magic. Then he noticed pictures of Chernabog and Maleficent with their friends. Why did Chernabog and Maleficent wanna be evil? They seem like they were living a happy life as a couple until Hades started bossing them around. Zeke sighed then suddenly there was a bell ringing. "Lunch break! Today's special: Chernabog's famous Churros and Hades Hot Dogs with a special drink of Maleficent's Martini!" the intercom said. A bit of food slid under the door for Zeke along with a drink which looked like blood. Zeke ate some and hid the rest in his pocket. Suddenly, he heard a thud which sounded like a person fell. It sounded like it was coming from the room across from him where he heard the loud noise.

Since all the villains and minions were on lunch break, Zeke snuck out of his room and went to the room next to him. He knocked on the door and realized it was open. "Hello? Hello! Anyone here?" Zeke whispered. He heard another noise which was a small hello followed by vomiting. He got closer to the light and what he saw was shocking. A kangaroo was chained up and looked hurt and malnourished. "Hello? Oh please help me," the kangaroo said as she vomited again. Zeke ran over to her. "Oh my god, are you ok?" Zeke asked the kangaroo. He offered her some hot dogs he had in his pocket and the cup of blood which turned out to be cranberry juice. "Here. I want you to have this," Zeke said as he offered her some of his food. "Bless your soul! Thank you dear," she said hoarsely. She got up, coughed, and ate the bun from the hot dog. Zeke smiled as the kangaroo ate the hot dog bun. She swallowed and gulped down the cranberry juice as she finished. "What a lovely meal and it's all thanks to you," the kangaroo said. Zeke still saw scratches and bruises on her as he cried. It scared him. "Oh dear, what's the matter?" the kangaroo asked him as she put her hand on Zeke's shoulder. She realized the number on his neck. She knew he had been kept a prisoner too. "I miss my parents," Zeke told her. "Hades and his gang kidnapped me and now I have to follow their rules or else," he sobbed. The kangaroo comforted the boy as he hugged her tightly. "I don't wanna be here anymore. I wanna go home!" Zeke sobbed again. The kangaroo comforted Zeke. "Shhh, there there. We will find a way out of this soon," she said. Zeke looked up and smiled at the caring female kangaroo. She felt like a mother to him. "What's your name, dear?" the kangaroo asked Zeke. He smiled as he wiped away his tears. "I'm Zeke Simpson," he said to her. "Hello Zeke. My name is Kanga," Kanga said in a soft tone. Zeke asked her how she came here. "It's a long story," Kanga told him. "I like stories," Zeke said as he cuddled up with Kanga. Kanga reminded Zeke of his mom. "It happened a few days ago," Kanga started.

"My husband, Tigger, and son, Roo, were playing soccer when suddenly the sky got dark. A big shadow loomed over us with horns, wings, and yellow eyes. My husband tried to protect me and my son but it was too late. Tigger started acting strangely. He was convulsing on the grass and grew bigger. I tried to help him but a dragon blocked my way and took Roo. Suddenly, Tiger wasn't Tigger anymore but he became big and huge with sharp calls and his tail looked like a large rope. His eyes were red and he looked evil. They took Roo away as he called out my name. I was traumatized. I tried to go in my house for safety but the house caught fire and burned down. I was horrified. The dragon flew away with Roo. Suddenly everything blacked out. When I got to this place, I tried to escape but I realized I was chained up. I didn't see Roo or Tiger and I cried my eyes out. A tall evil looking man with his bird looked at me and smiled. The tall man asked the bird if this was the one and the bird nodded. Ever since, I have been tortured by this man and his foul mouthed bird. Until I met you," Kanga said as Zeke was shocked.

"Wow. That's an awful story," Zeke said. "Yes and I still don't know where Tigger and Roo are. Oh how I miss my Roo and Tigger dear," Kanga said. As they were talking, there were voices coming down the hall. Zeke got up quick and before he left, he told Kanga, "Don't worry, I will help you get out no matter what happens," Zeke told the kangaroo and rushed off to his room. "Bless you and your kindness," Kanga said as Zeke ran to his room and closed the door. Day turned to night as Zeke got ready for bed. He thought it was a good time to pray. He didn't pray a lot but his mom told him it's ok to pray once in a while. He sat on the bed and started to sing:

And I pray

I just can't sleep tonight
Knowing that things ain't right.
It's in the papers, it's on the TV, it's everywhere that I go:
Children are crying,
Soldiers are dying,
Some people don't have a home.

But I know there's sunshine beyond that rain.
I know there's good times beyond that pain.
Hey, can you tell me how I can make a change?

I close my eyes and I can see a better day.
I close my eyes and pray.
I close my eyes and I can see a better day.
I close my eyes and pray.

I lose my appetite
Knowing kids starve tonight.
Am I a sinner
'Cause half my dinner
Is still there on my plate?
Ooh, I got a vision to make a difference.
And it's starting today.

'Cause I know there's sunshine beyond that rain.
I know there's good times beyond that pain.
Heaven, tell me I can make a change.

I close my eyes and I can see a better day.
I close my eyes and pray.
I close my eyes and I can see a better day.
I close my eyes and...

I pray for the broken-hearted.
I pray for the life not started.
I pray for all the lungs not breathing.
I pray for all the souls that need a break.
Can you give 'em one today?

I just can't sleep tonight.
Can someone tell me how to make a change?

I close my eyes and I can see a better day.
I close my eyes and pray.
I close my eyes and I can see a better day.
I close my eyes and I pray.

I pray.
I pray.

I close my eyes and pray.

Zeke yawned, curled up, and went to sleep.