Chapter 19: Maddy's New Friend

Maddy woke up the next day all tired and worn out. Roo cuddled up next to her to adjust his body temperature cause Bald Mountain was a hot place to be, especially in the dungeon. Maddy felt like she was a mother to Roo and Roo agreed. She wanted to protect him as much as possible from the evil villains. Maddy and Roo played secretly with the toys the mystery stranger brought them. Maddy still wondered who the stranger was. She kept thinking about them a lot since they were so helpful to her and Roo. Suddenly, there was a loud sound. "What was that?" Roo shakes and hid behind Maddy. Maddy heard footsteps walking toward their cell. She thought they were guards or Pain and Panic. She held Roo close and guarded him. "Hello?" Maddy called out. "Who's there?" she said again as Roo whimpered. Then more books and food dropped on the ground. Maddy realized it was the mysterious stranger again. She put Roo down and ran up to the cell door as the stranger was leaving. "Wait!" Maddy called out and grabbed what felt like the stranger's arm. "Who are you?" Maddy questioned the stranger. "I-I don't think you wanna see me," the stranger mumbled. "Please! I want to know who has helped us in this terrible place," Maddy said. It was too dark for Maddy to see the stranger. She tried to make out the stranger. She saw a light figure which looked like a boy but she couldn't see clearly. "Come into the light, please?" Maddy asked. The stranger sighed and showed himself. It was a boy but he didn't look promising. "You're...You're one of them?" Maddy stuttered. "Listen, it's not what it looks like," said the boy. Roo was in a corner covering his eyes, completely scared. Maddy thought for a moment. "If you're one of them, why are you helping us?" she asked. The boy sighed again. "Because I was taken, like you and the joey," Zeke pointed to Roo as Roo sat there puzzled. Suddenly the voices of Pain and Panic were coming down the stairs. "Look I have to go," said the boy walking away. "Wait!" Maddy said as the boy halted. "What's your name?" Maddy asked him. The boy looked over his shoulder and gave a kind smile. "It's Zeke," he said and ran off back to the bedroom before he could get caught. Maddy was happy that someone was there to care for her and Roo. She thought Zeke was kinda cute but then she thought it was no big deal. "Zeke, thank you," Maddy whispered to herself as she smiled.