Shards of glass ~ 20

TW: Nightmares/Night terrors, smashed glass, trauma

Esme's POV

It had been more than 2 weeks since the incident. There wasn't a funeral for his family. He couldn't bare to see their burned corpses. He hasn't left our bed. It was stained with tears and sweat. Haymitch laid one my chest sleeping peacefully for the first time in 5 weeks.

I've talked to the towns people but no one knew how the fire started. They also told me none of the parents smoke or have anything that could even start a fire abruptly and create such a large flames. The cause of it has been on my mind a little lately.

I've been talking to Adam about this and we both have our suspicions of the peacekeepers and President snow. They may have over heard mine and his plan to make sure we both get out of the games alive.

And at the ceremony, snow seemed very friendly but not so generous with haymitch. President snow may have purposely caught the house in fire for a punishment.

My eyes remained gazed on the faint window that was sat next to the couch me and haymitch laid on. I don't trust anyone. Suddenly, something grabbed me. I turn my head to haymitch and seem him clutching into me for dear life. His breaths quickening. His eyes scrunched. And his voice repeating "No not her, please I beg you."

I try to shake him awake but only to be shoved to the side and swung at. Haymitch stands up abruptly swing the nearest object to him at me screaming bloody murder.

"HAYMITCH! It's me..." - Esme

He stops seeing the sight of me in slight fear. He drops his weapon. He breaks down silently as he sees himself trying to attack me. After a long silence, haymitch runs up starts in anger. I follow him in confusion. The sound of glass falling stops  me in the middle of the stairs.

I quickly run to where to sound came from to find haymitch in the bathroom with his fists clenched on the counter with glass surrounding him. The mirror became cracked as some parts of glass fell into the sink. The sight of blood caught my sight with haymitch's right hand covered in it.

"Haymitch....I know your angry, but I need to fix you up or you'll get infected." - Esme

He cocks his head slightly towards my direction. He then takes my hand and takes my down the stairs and into the kitchen. I take out our first aid kit and sit in front of him. His eyes were scorching red.

Taking a cloth and some rubbing alcohol I poor it into the rag. I take his outstretched hand and place it in my left one. Taking the tag I place it on his cut as he winces in pain. I decrease the pressure and I remove the tag and placing it to the side.

I take a roll of bandages and start to wrap it around his hand and tying it off. Putting the kit away I feel his hands wrap around my waist and his neck muzzled I'm my neck. He places small kisses on my neck for an apology.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you and storm off like that." - Haymitch

"It's not your fault, you are in grieving. It's natural-" - Esme

"It's not natural to hurt the person you love." - Haymitch

We left our conversation and climb into our upstairs bedroom and stay in each other's company for the rest of the night.