Chapter 58: The Coffin That Was Removed

The size and scale of the stone chamber were very common, without any polishing or relief. My obvious first reaction was to use my flashlight to find a way to move on, while Fatty's flashlight was looking at what was inside.

There were wooden boxes all around and if you didn't look carefully, you'd think they were short coffins. In the middle of all these boxes, however, was an actual coffin that looked very strange—not appearance-wise, but as if it shouldn't be here.

The area around the boxes was very messy, and it felt like someone moved them to make room to put the coffin here. The problem was that the coffin wasn't even properly placed and was lying at an oblique angle.

Fatty was particularly interested in the boxes and kept telling me to look at one, but I firmly stopped him. We reached the side of the coffin and saw many strange tools lying beside it that had been completely rusted, but we knew at a glance that they were modern.

"Someone's been here, but not Little Brother and the others. These tools seem to have been here a long time." Fatty kicked several of them and when I looked closer, I found that they were small accessories used to make brackets for lifting, sliding, and supporting the transport of the coffin.

"It should all belong to the archaeological team that came at the end of the 1970s. It seems that they carried this coffin from somewhere."

Fatty picked up a small tool from the ground, blew the dust off, and said, "Did they want to take this coffin out?"

I looked at it.

The coffin was made of wood, with iron sheets wrapped around its four corners to protect it. It wasn't opened and was left there almost intact.

"Why?" I asked. "This coffin isn't very impressive, and they didn't even take it out!"

"Don't say that, we can't guess what was on the archeological team's mind. If you try, you'll just get a headache." Fatty said, "Don't worry about it. Keep going. You'll know what God wants you to know. If we know where the coffin was carried out, there will be more clues."

"Wait!" I said. I suddenly saw a strange phenomenon on the coffin, "Do you think we've seen the pattern on this coffin somewhere before?"

"Where have you seen it?" Fatty was puzzled.

I said, "We saw the same pattern on the coffin upstairs in Zhang Qilin's tomb. Is this also a generation of Zhang Qilin?"

"It it's here, then it would be the first generation of Zhang Qilin" Fatty said, then he looked at me, gave a tsk, grabbed my hand, and said, "Wait a minute, Mr. Naive, I want to remind you of something."

"What?"

"Could this coffin be what the archaeological team wanted to transport out of the tomb because it may be the first generation Zhang Qilin? If so, do you think there are any key secrets hidden in there? Of course, all this is just my speculation, but think about your past entanglements. At this point, we'll never come in again after we leave. I'm putting myself in your position and thinking about you. Do you want to open this coffin and have a look?"

"You want to do it yourself, don't you?" I asked him.

Fatty shook his head seriously: "No, I just want to safely leave now. Thinking of your past, though, perhaps the answer is in this coffin. Just open it, Mr. Naive. It will only take three minutes. Since you want to know, you should try."

I looked at his expression and realized that he didn't seem to be joking. However, everything he said was indeed right and his conjecture was reasonable.