Chapter 12

I was sleeping alone when I awoke. Naked. Covered in dirt, and what appeared to be dried blood. Bayne stood above me, dropping a pile of clothes on me.

"Get dressed. We need to go, now."

I didn't ask questions and did as he said. He was in a hurry. I stood behind a tree and slipped on the clothes he had given me. He then grabbed my wrist and pulled me out of the woods, and into town where his car was parked. I jerked my arm away.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"You need to be taken back to Ulrich. You're too dangerous to live here."

"What? No. Not possible. I couldn't have been that bad."

"Get in the car."

"Are you taking me back there? I don't want to."

"Get in the car before I explode. Now."

I did as he said. I expected him to take me right back up to the werewolf lodge. But he didn't. He took me to a hospital.

"Why are we here?"

He didn't answer me. He just parked the car and marched in. He immediately brought me to the fourth floor, and dragged me down the hallway.

"What's going on?" I asked again. I stopped speaking immediately after.

It was Nadine. She was in a hospital bed, her eyes were shut. She had a deep gash on her leg, like something with claws shredded from her thigh down. She was bruised. A bandage wrapped around her head.

"What happened?" I jumped down by her, examining her wounds.

"You did."

My stomach and heart sank.

"What?"

"She followed you last night, into the woods. You turned into a wolf. You heard her, and tore into her. I managed to pry you off her and got you to stop. I had to rush her to the hospital and left her out front. I had risked getting seen. For you. I'm taking you back to Ulrich today, before you blow our secrets or hurt anyone else."

I had hurt her. I didn't remember it. I wanted to be in disbelief, but I wasn't. I only remembered flashes. I don't know why I would do such a thing, but I did. She had been so kind to me, I could never forgive myself. Tears began to fill my eyes. I didn't want to cry in front of Bayne. I tried to hold them in.

"Erin?" She said my name, her eyes were open. She studied her surroundings. She appeared dazed.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." The tears began to roll down my cheeks.

"What? What happened to me? I remember I was worried about you, so I followed you. And.. You changed. Into something else. I must've been dreaming. It can't be real. You wouldn't hurt me."

The tears turned into a complete sob.

"It was me. I'm so sorry. I don't remember doing it. I'm sorry. I would never hurt you on purpose. I'm sorry."

My nose became stuffy, I gasped for air between my sobs.

"Erin. I don't think I understand." She said softly.

I couldn't explain it to her. The room felt like it was closing in.

"I'm sorry." I said one last time before sprinting out of there. I needed air. I couldn't look at her injured face any longer. The injuries I had caused her.

I sat alongside a curb for a while, wallowing in my grief. I could've killed her, I thought. If Bayne wasn't here to stop me, she'd be dead. I began to understand what Bayne meant. I understood why I had to leave my life behind. I couldn't hurt anyone like that again, ever. Especially not her.

Bayne came outside through the automated doors. He stood behind me as I wiped my tears.

"I talked to her, told her what happened."

"What did she say?" I asked.

He joined me on the curb.

"She said she'd keep it a secret, for you. She swears she won't tell anyone, but she knows. I explained to her what happened, how you couldn't control it. She was the most understanding person I have ever met. Maybe it's all the pain killers she's on."

"She's a good person. I can't believe I did that to her. If you weren't there to stop me, she'd be dead." I took a deep breath.

"Thank you." I said to Bayne. Words I never thought I'd say.

"Thank you for saving her life. She'd be dead if it weren't for you, and I'm grateful. You have my respect." I continued.

"Wow, a youngling's respect. Thanks." He said sarcastically.

"I know it doesn't mean much, but I appreciate you trying to help me. I know now that I have to go back. I can't hurt anyone like this again."

"Glad you finally get it. Maybe you should say goodbye to her. I'll be waiting in the car."

He headed out to the parking lot.

I went back in to the hospital room, doctors were just finishing her examination. I went in after they left.

"How are you feeling?" I asked.

"Tired, but the medicine is helping the pain. Bayne told me everything. He told me you're a.."

"Werewolf? It doesn't feel real most days." I sat down on the corner of her bed by invitation.

"Did it happen on the trip?"

"Yeah. I was bitten. Turned me into a wolf. They found me and brought me to a werewolf cabin in Canada. Weird, right?"

"Bayne isn't your cousin, is he?" She asked.

"No, he's not. He's a wolf. He was supposed to help me train to function in the normal world again, but I clearly can't.. That's why I'm leaving today."