Chapter Nineteen

Everyone was taken by surprise with James' demand.

Her brother stood up and get clarifications.

"Did I just hear you say wrappers for my late sister?"

Mr. James swallowed the kolanut he was chewing when he came closer to him. The guest wondered and shook their heads in disdain.

After he noticed the calmness of everyone, he stood up and said.

"Paul, you know, tradition demands that her mother ask for those.."

"But her mother is dead James"

He said and spat on the floor in disgust of James's thought.

"But her step mother is here, s....she.."

"No!" Paul roared.

"If you must follow tradition, then I will call my mother to ask on her before."

He stormed out to get his mother only to meet her halfway drying her tears.

"Mama"

"Don't worry, I heard everything. Let's go son"

The old lady greeted the guest and introduced herself as Sarah's grandmother.

"If I must ask on behalf of my late daughter? I... Want...NOTHING"

"What?"

James muttered and sat still.

They cheered and clapped for the old lady as she walked out.

"Okay, can we see our Bride now?"
Leonard's father finally asked after the commotion.

"Yes of course, but that will be after the bride price." Mr. James replied.

"The bride price is just #100, 000 naira."

"James! How do you pay back such amount if divorce comes up tomorrow?"

"Mind your business Paul. The money will be saved in the bank na"

"Na so! Bank of your belly"

"Its enough gentle men." The mc said ushering them back to their seats.

The money was paid and Sarah asked to show herself to her in-laws.

Sarah danced to the ground of the occasion not sure of what her father might ask for next.

"Hey!" The mc stopped the DJ and Sarah halted.

"I think, the fuel is empty. Our bride can't make it to her inlaws, what a shame."

Jerry knowing what they were up to whispered something to Leonard and they brought out money to buy  the so called fuel.

The MC announced the amount and asked the DJ to play the music. Sarah and her companions danced and knelt in front of Leonard. He blushed and unveiled the bride only to beheld a stranger.

"What? Where is Sarah James?"
Leonard asked in confusion.

"Sorry!! Its like your wife has been held hostage. You have to pay a ransom." The MC said with a shrug.

"Jerry! What is this about now?"
Leonard said between his teeth.

"Calm down Leo, this is the last payment. Remember I investigated about the Idoma's and this was everything I was told."

Jerry said squeezing his shoulders.

His parents brought some cash and whispered something into ears. Leonard smirk and gave the cash to Jerry to give to the MC.