Chapter Five

Sarah woke up to a different environment and strangers.

"where is everyone? And where am I?"

She sat on the bed and covered herself with the wrapper she found on her body wondering. Sarah studied the room carefully. Transparent windows, bulbs on, no one laying on the beautiful floor, the bed opposite hers neatly made and a big basket close to the bed containing some clothes.

"Oh, you are awake!"

Patricia walked in holding a mop.

"Good morning ma"

Sarah said as she stood up.

"What? Don't you remember me, I'm Patricia your roommate, We chatted yesterday when you arrived from the village with madam....."

"I'm sorry ma, I totally forgot last night and how I got here, but I can recall everything now. Thanks for everything ma"

"Okay look" she held her hands and led her to the bed and said.

"There are few things you must know in this house, waking up time for us is 4am, our morning tasks must be done before 7am and you must never refer to me as ma again. Call me Pat for short if Patricia is long for you."

"Yes ma, sorry Pat" they both laughed and embraced warmly.

Both girls did their chores and sat in the kitchen to chat for a while.

"Aunty Pat"

Sarah said, smiling. "at least permit me to call you Aunty, you are older than I am please"

"okay, if you are comfortable with that"

"I am please"

"Alright, now what do you think happened to your mother?"

"I wish I can say but I really don't know"

"How about your brothers? Do you think they can cope in the village?"

"My grandmother as they said is an elderly woman, but I doubt if she can handle them"

"well, let's hope for the best". Patricia pat her on the back.

"Aunty Pat, I have been bugging you with my life won't you tell me a bit about yourself?"

"My dear, there is really nothing to tell you or anyone"

"I am an orphan, I have worked in many homes as a maid since I was seven, I was brought to this house 10 years ago by my real madam the owner of the orphanage I was abandoned".

Patricia fought the tears streaming down her check but it came in floods.

"This is the only home I have for now Sarah, I didn't attend any school, I can't read or write. At 28, I'm still lost and pathless. Don't be like me okay, I will be your big sister from now on".

They both hugged tightly and wailing.

The door busted.

"What are the two of you doing here? Chatting? Gossiping perchance?"

"Now look here both of you, don't think that you will have luxury of time for chatting"

Moriah brought out some cash from her bag and handed them to Patricia.

"Go to Garki market and buy a bag of oranges for Sarah to hawk after your morning duty"

She muttered something and slammed the door as she walked out.

"Don't worry Sarah, just be grateful that you have a roof over your head and a good meal ok"

"I can't complain Aunty, I'm good at hawking just that I barely knew this place, today is my second day here."