Chapter Twenty

Sarah looked so beautiful in her ball wedding gown. Patricia insisted on getting her some hired bride's maids.

"Aunt Pat... I don't know her much.." Sarah whined stomping her heels like a spoilt brat.

"Quit nagging and listen to your big sister, Sarah."
Jane said fixing Sarah's veil.

Sarah peeped to see the maid's gown.

"Does she have wear a tight gown like that? Exposing her chest?"

Her grandmother pulled a chair and sat opposite her.

"My dear, I have heard and seen it many times. A lady wedded in our hometown recently, and she paid some girls to pose as her bride's maids."

"Mama!" She said taking off the veil sharply.

"Seriously..." Her grandmother responded with her eyes wide opened admiring her granddaughter.

Sarah's phone rang and she looked at it for the caller's identity. Patricia walked in and noticed her smiles.

"It's Mr. Right abi?" She said from behind.

"Aunty! Leave me alone o..."

"Common.... Its just today, after today, you will be together for ever!" 

"Amen oooo!" Grandma shouted."

Sarah could only  blush. She stared at the phone for a while and picked it up.

"Excuse me" she said holding up her gown. Sarah avoided their faces and closed the door gently behind her.

The ladies laughed and clapped, before facing the giant mirror placed in the living room for the wedding dress up.

Sarah's grandmother watched the loneliness in Patricia for a while and sighed.

"My dear" she finally said and Patricia turned to her. "don't feel bad about Sarah leaving today. You have done a great job with her. You became her mother and sister, not to mention best friend. Where haven't you gone for her?"

Patricia couldn't control the tears fighting between her eyes. She bowed her head and wept bitterly.

"Grandma, who do I have now? No one. Sarah is all I have... I..I..."

"Calm down my daughter. Don't feel bad about her leaving, its for the best. You can always check on her and still be her all."

"Please mama, can you stay with me for some days after the wedding?"

"If it will help you? yes, I will stay with you. After all, we are done with farmwork."

Patricia dried her tears as soon  as Sarah opened the door.

"Haah, that's the car! We must hurry!" Patricia announced before Sarah will figure out the sad situation.

She held up Sarah's gown and fan her as soon as they settled in the car.

"Why is the girl coming instead of grandma?"

"Sarah, we've talked about this, she is one of the maids remember? So she has to ride with us. Grandma will come with your uncle."

Sarah faked a smile as the lady sat beside them in the car.

The drive to the church was just 10 minutes. Leonard was already restless pacing at the entrance of the church. He stopped and adjusted his bow tie as soon as the car halted in front of the church.

The wedding ceremony was lively and cheerful. The reception was very colourful. Moriah and James demanded for every expensive wine available.

"Why do they have to show themselves here na?" Sarah's uncle said on top of his voice.