Chapter Twelve

Sarah got to the university safely, did all the necessary documentation, and boarded a vehicle home to the village to see her sick mother.

She kept wondering how she will react at the sight of her mom. It's been almost five years since she last saw her mother.

Will she be able to answer all her questions? Why she abandoned them? And destroyed their little family.

Reaching the last bus stop, Sarah hopped down from the bus and wandered around. Would she be able to locate her grandparent's house? Gazing at the narrow path, she noticed a girl smiling and walking towards her.

"Good afternoon"

The lady kept smiling and staring at Sarah. It suddenly occurred to her that only a few people could speak English language in the village. Trying her best to say something meaningful, someone chuckled from behind.

"Please don't bite your tongue, what are you trying to say?"

"Jacob!"

She couldn't believe her eyes. Her little brother.

"It's me, Sarah!"

He shrugged and smiled weakly.

"Welcome city girl."

She didn't forget how rude they've always been to her. But the love of Christ she has learned from Patricia can stand any attitude and she expected more from her mother.

"This way ma'am." He said.

He took her little travel bag and led the way.

"You have really grown into a fine young man."

"You think?"

"Of course! Look at you. All grown up! Oh thank God."

"Oh please, God has nothing to do with this. I just ate and grew like every other living thing."

She didn't want to push it but felt so bad at his lack of knowledge.

What if we had stayed together? Will our lives be different? Oh God help me with what awaits.

Her thoughts were cut short when she approached a little compound. An elderly woman coming out of a hut with a local tray in her hands.

"Everyone, welcome Sarah the city girl." He said and dropped her bag with a thud.

"Jacob! How dare you talk to her like that. She is your elder sister for goodness sake."

He laughed and rode the bicycle that was parked under a tree away.

The woman gently put down the tray and hugged Sarah.

"Grandma...." Sarah tried to fight the tears flooding her eyes.

The old woman led her to another hut where her mom was taking a nap. She sat on a stool beside the bed and observed the sleeping lady but could barely recognize her.

Her grandmother realized what was going on and signaled her to follow her outside.

They sat by an old bench closed to the burning wood stove with a boiling pot steaming heavily.

"Sarah, that's your mother."

"B..but she looks so different and.."

"Skinny yes, some even call her the living skeleton. Whatever they call her, she is my daughter and your mother."

Sarah felt so sorry for her grandmother and held her closer.

"What happened to her?"

The old woman brew her nose and rubbed it on a tree close by. Afterward used her wrapper to clean her face.