Chapter Eighteen

Both girls went outside the compound and had a long discussion. They agreed on giving her Dad #30,000 and begged him for some time to balance up. They approached him with the cash.

Mr. James licked his lips at the sight of the cash.

"Papa, please, accept this money first and buy whatever you need to before the proper traditional right."

Sarah said kneeling before her father holding out the cash.

"Ehhh, you see? I will only take this now, but be prepared for everything when they come o."

He said counting it.

"What exactly are you going to buy papa?"

John, the twin asked.

"Shut your mouth John! What do you know about traditions! Insolent!"

He raised his hands to slap him but missed because John escaped quickly. Sarah grabbed his hand and led him out.

"Sarah, if you leave him to start now, he won't stop till he drain every naira from you and aunty Pat."

"Don't worry John, we will get through this okay."

He muttered something and walked out to met his twin, Jacob.

Sarah walked the footpath with Patricia talking about the traditional day.

"Godmother Jane said she will join us tomorrow." Sarah informed Patricia.

"I pray she remembers everything we asked her to bring."

"I hope so aunt Pat. I hope so"

They decided to take a walk to the stream for a while. People kept whispering and staring at them as they walked passed them. Some of the ladies were tying wrapper around their chest without blouses. Sarah smiled at them waved to some she recognized from her last visit to the village.

They watched some kids swimming fearlessly. Sarah only felt the water by the bank before they strode away laughing.

"What if my parents are in a peaceful village like this Sarah?"

Patricia said looking away from Sarah's face.

"Aunty Pat, we've talked about this right? Don't allow the ememy to feed on your emotions. Am I not enough for you?"

They stopped under a tree and sat on a log.

"Look at me! I should be happy that I have a family but no! They are making life miserable for me. My father is trying to make a fortune out of my marriage. Please reconsider and shame the devil."

"Forgive me Sarah, I must be out of my mind thinking like that. If they abandoned me, means they don't need me. I promise to stay focus alright? I'm sorry."

"Please don't say sorry, you are human too. You have to express how you feel."

"I will do my best and not to allow the devil in to destroy our joy."

"That's the spirit!"

Sarah slapped her thighs and held out her hands to Patricia.

"We must head home and help grandma prepare dinner."

"Oh my God! That's very true, how far is the village from here."

Sarah smiled and pointed.

"Its just few huts from here. See my uncle fixing his bicycle in the compound."

"Oh! Let's go."

They tried to speak the local dialect to the girls hacking vegetables but the girls  laughed and said what they wished they understand."