Chapter Thirteen

Jane cried for many days and locked up her parlour to morn her best friend. She regrated pulling her out of her marriage. Even though Rebecca was poor like a church rat, she was never down with any health condition. She blamed herself for her friend's early death.

Looking at Rebecca's children made things worse for Jane. She watched the drama between father and children but was scared to approach them. She called the twins secretly and gave them some money to help themselves, but as youth they wasted the money with friends in drinking and smoking.

Jane observed Patricia and Sarah for a long time before walking up to them.

"Hello!"

Sarah had seen her crying at the funerals and her grandmother told her about Jane, when she asked.

"Good morning ma'am."

Jane blushed with the courtesy.

"Sarah, I am your godmother Aunt Jane."

Sarah smiled stood opposite her.

"I know ma'am, my mom's friend that lives in Lagos."

Jane grabbed her hands with her cheeks up.

"I'm glad you remembered me that way and not what people have been saying."

Sarah withdrew her hands and hook them on her hips.

"Ma'am, I have no right to call you names. We all made different choices and each choice has it consequences. I have nothing against you, my mom died in Christ Jesus and now she is resting."

Jane remained still and could barely speak. She watched Sarah and her companion entered a vehicle and left the village.

Jane had effortly seek to speak to Sarah when she returned from school after her mother's burial but never had the courage to do it. But now that she spoke to her, many things paralyzed in her.

Rebecca gave her life to Christ?

Jane changed when she returned to Lagos. She was no longer interested in making money, she was looking for answers for her questions.

For the first time in fifteen years, Jane felt like going to the church. She woke up early one Sunday morning and walked into a church close to her house. All the women in the church including the pastor's wife were glaring at her. She felt so uncomfortable that she left in a hurry.

The next Sunday she tried another church a little bit far from her house and got the same stares. A woman walked up to her and whispered.

"Have you come to take our pastor to your den, Jezebel!"

Jane fled and never try to enter any church again. But, she longs for the peace she saw in Sarah's and Patricia's faces. She wondered how they were doing back in Abuja. Her son got confused when he returned for the holiday and found his mother in the state she was.

"Mother, don't worry, I will find a way to get her contact okay."

She remained quite and nodded in agreement.

####

Leonard kept in touch with Patricia but never had the guts to called Sarah only the day she lost her mother. Now that Patricia had informed him of her coming for a break, he couldn't hardly sleep.

His mom knew what was going on and kept teasing him because he told them about her.

He had started saving for his own apartment and other things before Sarah will agree to his proposal. His mother had told him to prepare ahead and trust in the Lord. Leonard was grateful for his new job as an administrator in a school. His salary was more than enough for his needs and savings.