Twenty-Three

"Hey, Jag, what's up?" I smiled as I sat down on the couch. Jagger and I had become really close after we first met and it was great that we were able to make up for seventeen years of missing out on each other. He was so sweet and we had a lot in common, and I couldn't wait until I went out to California to finally meet him in person.

"So, not to spoil the surprise or anything, but mom and I are out Christmas shopping," he started.

"No, you guys don't have to get me anything," I laughed lightly.

"Yes we do," I heard him chuckle along with her in the background. "We have years upon years to make up for. I just wanted to call and make sure that we have your clothing size right. You're a small right?"

"Yeah," I smiled. They were such thoughtful and generous people. My life would have been so much better if they would have been around to cheer me up, instead of drag my down.

"Alright, well I'll call you later. Love you, Bay."

"Love you too, Jag." I hung up the phone and laid down on the couch. There was absolutely nothing to do - Raina was out with my mother, Sam was busy, and I had the day off of work. I looked around my boxed apartment. Practically everything was in a cardboard box, and I had one day until I left for Omaha. There was a knock at the door causing me to raise my eyebrow in suspicion. I wasn't expecting anyone for another hour, and Raina and mom were going to be out for awhile. I stood up and walked over to the door. I opened it and to my surprise found Melody standing there. "Hi?" I asked in questioning manner.

"Hey. can we talk?" She asked me. I bit my lower lip and looked around to make sure no one was with her and opened the door so she should come in. I closed the door and slowly walked into the living room. "How are you?"

"I'm fine, I think the real question is why are you here?" I scratched at the back of my neck and sat down making sure there was a lot of space between us.

"Well I know that you're leaving tomorrow, and I wanted to say goodbye if that was okay," she seemed like she was holding something back and purposely keeping it from me.

"Did Alex tell you that? You know, because he hacked into my phone and eavesdropped on every single conversation that I had?" I purposely asked the question with a hint of hostility. I wanted to show her that I was no longer going to let them push me around, and take control of my emotions. "That's not why you're here, Melody. So either tell me the real reason you're here sitting on my couch, making up some phony lie, or get out of my apartment." Without another word, she stood up and let herself out. I huffed out an incredibly long sigh and rested my head on the back of the couch.

I decided to go ahead and pack up everything else, I wasn't sure where I was going to put everything. I wasn't sure how I was going to get everything to California, but I none of that mattered at the moment. The only thing that mattered was that I was finally getting out of my hometown and never coming back. I heard my phone ringing and quickly ran over to the couch to get it. My dad popped up on the ID and I smiled. He called me nearly every day on his lunch breaks, and we would catch up on practically everything.

"Hey, sweetie," he said when I answered.

"Hey, dad. What's up?" I walked back over to the kitchen where I packing up miscellaneous items.

"So I was talking to a couple of my employees today about how you're moving out here soon," he said. I nodded and continued to pack up. "While in the midst of all that, I formed an excellent idea. What if you just rent out a storage compartment, and when you move out here and get comfortable, I would be more than happy to pick up your items and bring them back for you. That way you don't have to get rid of anything, and you won't have to go buy a ton of new stuff."