Every Mother's Son

CHAPTER 22 - EVERY MOTHER'S SON

----------------------------

I WALK INTO THE COMPOUND, CONFUSION OVERTAKING ME AS I look at the feast on the table. Hayley sat at the table, munching on an array of fruit and other breakfast food when Klaus comes down the stairs.

I turn to my brother. "So, which restaurant's missing a compelled chef?" I ask him. Hayley stands up and gives Klaus the same look.

Klaus smirks at me. "It's certainly a card I've played in the past, but I had no hand in this..." He gestures to the food on the table.

Hayley sighs. "Hmm. Well, then, I guess we have Elijah to thank," Just then Elijah joins us in the courtyard of the compound.

He looks at us confused. "This wasn't my doing..."

I frown. "Then, where did this all come from?"

The silver lid on the platter starts to rattle, startling Hayley, Elijah, and I.
We all give Klaus a look. He looks uneasy when he lifts the platter, which releases two starlings that fly up toward the ceiling. We all look puzzled and nervous.

"What the hell was that?" Hayley asks.

Klaus reaches for the invitation and opens it. He sighs. "An invitation from our mother"

Klaus, Elijah, and I stare at each other in concern. Well, this 'dinner's might just end badly. Probably with someone getting hurt or killed.

____________

I stood by the balcony overlooking the French quarter with Klaus, staring at the invitation from our mother.

Dinner, Your home, 8 PM

I sigh, squashing the paper in my hand and walking back into Klaus' bedroom where Hayley lay on her back on the bed.

"It is times like this I'm really glad I never knew my mother," Hayley sighs up and looks at Klaus and I.

"Yeah, lucky you, " I roll my eyes.

"We have enough enemies here. And now, the war for our home is to be fought against my own family" Klaus says.

"Your wretched mother and her disciples tried to put a carving knife through our baby's heart. I will happily add to the body count" Klaus smiles at Hayley, as Elijah enters the room.

"You will do no such thing, " Elijah says. I raise an eyebrow as Klaus and Hayley share a look. "Esther's a master in the art of possession. We know whose body she currently inhabits. We must decipher her intentions before she finds a new host,"

I take a seat next to Hayley. "Well, her last invitation was an assassination attempt on all her children. I think we can assume her intentions are decidedly revolting" I smile at Elijah.

He shrugs. "Well, then. We have-" He checks his watch. "-this afternoon to prepare for the worst" Elijah leaves. I sigh, following after him.

"Are we seriously considering this dinner crap with her?" I ask, catching up with him.

Elijah sighs. "It's the only way we'll get a lead on what she's really planning," He says

"We're supposed to be trying to kill her, not giving her more time to try and kill us again. What we need is some way of tricking her so that she doesn't jump into anyone else's body when we kill her, "