The River in Reverse

CHAPTER 6 - THE RIVER IN REVERSE

-------------------------

I SIT IN THE DINING ROOM WITH REBEKAH and a cup of blood. A lady was lying on the chair opposite us. Between us, there was a table full of food.

Klaus walked in. We stare at each other for a minute before I put my cup down and stood up. Rebekah looks at me in confusion.

"Where are you going?"She asks me. I turn to her and give her my best fake smile.

"I just remembered that I have things to do," I say, looking at Klaus before walking out of the room. I hear someone follow me out.

"Leah, can I talk to you?" I hear Klaus' voice. I let out a heavy sigh before turning around to look at him.

"I have really important things to do. Very Important" I grab my brown leather jacket from the rack and walk out the front door. 

____________________

I came up to the shack where Elijah and Hayley were in. I walked in to see Hayley giving Elijah a cup.

He drinks it but immediately starts to cough all over Hayley's shoes.

"Forgive me. Please."

" It's okay. Remind me to annihilate your brother once you're healthy." 

I walk in further, Hayley turns around when she hears me.

"Came here on Klaus' request?" She glares at me.

I look down. "No, Nik and I aren't on speaking terms right now," I say, forcing out a smile. Hayley smiles back at me and looks out the window.  

"It doesn't help that we decided to shack up in a swamp," She says, before walking out of the back door which led to the lake.

I walk up to Elijah and sit down next to him. "How are you doing?" I ask him.  Before he could answer, he starts to cough. Hayley comes back inside.

" Are you okay?" she asks concerned. Elijah rubs the sweat off his forehead.

" I'm fine. Please just... return to your reading." He says. Hayley picks up a book.

"I went through the whole thing." She says, holding up a book.  "It's just a regular Bible. With an entry in a family tree, that may or may not be me" she explains, turning to Elijah. " but you know I've been a little busy worrying about you."

 "Hayley, please. This fever will make me unstable. And once the hallucinations begin I'll start to see things. You must leave me here". Elijah says.

Hayley shakes her head. " I'm not leaving you like this," she says. I nod.

"Yeah, me neither" I smile at him.

My phone buzzes. I roll my eyes before picking it up. I look down and see that it's Rebekah.

"Um, I have to take care of something. But I promise I'll be back." I say, walking to the door.

Hayley rolls her eyes. "So much for 'sticking to your side till the end' " She whispers.

I stop and turn to look at her in disbelief. "You should be grateful that I'm even here in the first place making sure my brother doesn't have his hand around your heart with his hallucinations. I wonder if that'll stay the same when I'm gone." I bend down to her level. "You wouldn't wanna get on my bad side, so next time, show a little respect" I glare at her before vamp-speeding out of there.