Alive and Kicking

CHAPTER 21 - ALIVE AND KICKING

----------------------------

I SIT IN THE STUDY IN THE COMPOUND, DRINKING SOME SCOTCH while Klaus sat behind the desk, reading a book

Elijah walks in and glares at Klaus. "You took her on a witch hunt?" He asks incredulously. 

Klaus shrugs. "I simply wanted to persuade those witches to locate the white oak stake for me. When they proved unable to do so, I let Hayley have her fun." He explains plainly.

"She grows more savage by the day!" Elijah exclaims. I simply sat there, sipping my drink and listening to these two argue over Hayley. "Can you not see that she is falling apart?" 

Klaus finally turns to look at Elijah. "Perhaps the problem is your high standards?" He asks Elijah. "Hayley is one of us now. Being a vampire only exaggerates what you truly are, and wolves are wild things. She knows she can never live up to the pretty little picture you paint of her in your head. Your judgment only hurts her more."

Elijah shifts from one foot to another. "I am trying to help her, and I asked you to help her, brother."

 Klaus angrily rises to his feet. " I am helping! You should have seen her last night! Covered in witches' blood and smiling from ear to ear! She is embracing this. A little less criticism from you and Hayley will be just fine." He shouts.

"Niklaus! The mother of your child deserves much better than just fine!" The two glare at each other. "You'll take her to the Bayou. Find any remaining wolves. Perhaps her people can reach her. Now, more than ever, she needs a connection to something, some of her humanity. Some degree of dignity." Elijah angrily storms out of the room, leaving Klaus to consider his advice.

"Well, that went great," I say sarcastically, standing up and putting the remains of my drink in Klaus' hand before patting his shoulder. "You need it more than me," I tell him before walking out of the room.

_____________________

 I stood with Elijah in the streets of the neighbourhood that is packed with musicians playing instruments as others sell merchandise in stalls. Marcel talks to a group of potential vampire recruits which a girl plays the bongo drums nearby. I walk up to him in the middle of his speech and listen to him from afar.

"Gia's proven herself. She knows what she's getting into. So, she's going to be the first one that I turn. Everybody else? First, I need to be sure that you can handle moving up a notch on the food chain. The emotional ups and downs, solitude, and bloodlust. Imagine hearing the sound of a heart beating, beating, beating, and wanting more than anything to feed. That's what it's like to be a vampire. It's not for everybody. Some folks, well... let's just say it brings out the worst in them."

Marcel notices Elijah and I nearby and approaches us.

"Leah, Elijah. Didn't expect to see you two on this side of the river." He smiles at us.

I roll my eyes. "And I didn't expect to see you assembling a new vampire community. I guess we're both full of surprises." I say, sending him a fake smile.

"My community was fine until Klaus had the brilliant idea to make moonlight rings. Now that Harvest girl's making more, offering them to the wolves in exchange for their allegiance. And the wolves are just kneeling at her feet."

"Wow. A sixteen-year-old controlling the werewolves instead of you. I never thought I'd see that coming" I snort. 

 Marcel looks at me. "The Quarter's become a dangerous place, and you two? You're the last true vampires left! You ask me, you're better off joining my community! Maybe that's why you're here?"