A Closer Walk with Thee

CHAPTER 17 - A CLOSER WALK WITH THEE

-----------------------------

IT WAS FATHER KIREAN'S  WAKE AND WE  ALL GATHERED IN ROUSSEAU'S. The Quarter was throwing an Irish-style wake in his honour, complete with Irish music, lots of alcohol, and tons of people who have gathered to share stories of Father Kieran and celebrate his life. I approach my two brothers who sat across the room and drink. I sit down beside Klaus and pour myself a drink.

"Seems rather uncivilized, to laugh and dance around the body of a loved one," Klaus says.

Elijah pours himself a drink. " Yes, far better to practice your process of grief, Niklaus--denial, rage, and hoarding coffins in basements." Hayley joins us at the table and sits down between Elijah and I.

"I will warn you, Hayley, Nik is in a terrible mood today," I say, sipping my bourbon.

Klaus smirks drunkenly. "Sod off."

I roll my eyes. "You're wasted" 

" What's the deal with these moonlight rings?" Hayley asks Klaus. " Oliver's trying to set a revolution every five seconds, people are scared, angry, and frankly, I'm tired of stalling," she says.

"It's a day of peace, Hayley. Try and enjoy it. And, in the meantime, with all manner of unknown enemies conspiring against our family, you'll move back in with us." 

"Awesome!" She says sarcastically. " Then, we can do that thing where you lock me in the tower, I escape, there's drama, and then you three all realize I'm very capable of looking after myself." 

Klaus looks at her frustratedly. "The rings are in progress. I will live up to my word. We will find and punish whoever launched the attack on the bayou, and you will return to the compound for your own safety!" Hayley sighs and rolls her eyes. "But, right now-" He grabs his bottle of scotch. "- I'm gonna finish this bottle-" opens the bottle. "-and the next, in the hopes of drowning the demon who has chosen today to haunt me." Klaus looks up at the ceiling and raises his glass in a toast. " Cheers, Mikael. Impeccable, Freudian timing." He drinks straight from the bottle.

Elijah looks at him stunned. " Elaborate." I look between the two. "Have you dreamt about our father?"

"Go ahead, have a good laugh."

"I can assure you there is no piece of this that I find even remotely amusing, Niklaus. Especially considering I've been dreaming of him, too." Elijah says. Klaus looks at him in shock.

"What?"

"If you are also seeing him- "He stops mid-thought when he notices Genevieve enter Rousseau's. She catches his eye, and smiles. "- Perhaps our elusive, unknown enemy is orchestrating a further attack?" 

Klaus stares at Genevieve. " Well, then. What better way to punctuate a day of peace than by killing someone?" He smiles and waves at her.

We see her leave the party and follow her. Genevieve wanders into the Jardin Gris, closing the door behind her. She senses someone's presence and is startled when Klaus appears behind her.

Genevieve smiles weakly. " You disappeared from the party."

I walk into the room with Elijah who was examining an athame. "Do you care to explain why you would choose to torment us with visions of our father?" He asks her.