February Song

Robert Pattinson x reader

Rating: PG

Warnings: Angst and anxiety mentioned. Also the lyrics used are from the Josh Groban song "February Song" 

Summary: Your stage fright gets the best of you but it takes a friend who's been there to help you overcome it. 

This is in first person POV

🎭🎭🎭🎭

Where has that old friend gone
Lost in a February song
Tell him it won't be long
'Til he opens his eyes, opens his eyes

Why did I get my friends to talk me into doing this showcase. They said I would be perfect for doing a version of Josh Groban's "February Song" Why me?

And I did ask my friend Lindsay that same question. "Because you're a high lyric alto," she said to me. "For some reason, you hit the notes on the song just right because of that." I tried to get out of it but no avail...Lindsay got me to do the damn showcase and that's was final.

Where is that simple day
Before colors broke into shades
And how did I ever fade
Into this life, into this life

I'm in the living room trying my hardest to rehearse but let's face it, I'm out of practice. I did theater with my friends before but ever since my mom passed away, I never felt like I could go back on a stage. It was because she was always the one in the audience who cheered louder for me than anyone. That was always reassuring because where I grew up, the theater kids never got any love. 

I get to the first chorus of "February Song" when I hear someone applauding my efforts. "Bravo! Maybe David Foster should sign you to a record deal," I hear a very familiar voice say to me. I look over to find my best friend standing in the doorway.

"Are you on crack," I ask Rob. "I suck."

"No you don't," he says to me. "You're just nervous, that's all." He then looks over at the piano next to me. "I think I have an idea."

Before I could protest, he's glancing over the sheet music for "February Song" and telling me to take it from the top. "Why, so the animal hospital can call about the dying cat?"

"Just do it," he says before playing. 

I get back to the first chorus and I'm expecting him at any moment to say "Yeah, you suck" but he doesn't. He just keeps playing.

And I never want to let you down
Forgive me if I slip away
When all that I've known is lost and found
I promise you I, I'll come back to you one day

I'm still nervous but half way through it I start loosening up a little. Maybe he's right...maybe I don't suck. 

Morning is waking up
And sometimes it's more than just enough
When all that you need to love
Is in front of your eyes
It's in front of your eyes

I get through the song and I can't help but think I still suck at this when he says, "Now that wasn't that bad." I disagree. "It sucked. I think I heard the dogs next door howling." 

"You really don't have any confidence, do you?"

I go to take a seat on the piano bench next to him. "No, I don't," I say. "It's just..."

He then cuts me off. "I know what it is. This is the first showcase you've done since your mum died. Ever think she would want you to do this? She always said that you were great at this." 

"It just feels weird," I say looking over towards the keys on the piano. He picks up on why this hurts and attempts to give me a pep talk.

"Look, I know it's going to feel weird but this isn't the end of the world. I know you can do this and I'll be there cheering you on, you know that."

"I know but it's just..."

He moves in closer. "I know but remember, she would want you to do this." He then glances over at the photo of my mom and me that's sitting on the piano before looking back at me. "Do this for her." 

And I never want to let you down
Forgive me if I slip away
Sometimes it's hard to find my ground
'Cause I keep on falling as I try to get away
From this crazy world

The night of the showcase arrives and I'm about to take the stage. To say I'm terrified is the biggest understatement. My friend Blake gets me out there and I start singing. I fear losing it half way through the song but I'm at the final chorus and I know it's got to be epic because of the slight key change. 

I look out and while my vision is slightly blinded by the stage lights I swear I can sense the presence of a few supportive types in the audience so I give it my all.

And I never want to let you down
Forgive me if I slip away
When all that I've known is lost and found
I promise you I, I'll come back to you one day

I can feel the tear in my eye just as it gets to the final verse. I know I can't lose it just yet so right at the moment where there's that small rest I take a deep breath and force the final verse out. 

Where has that old friend gone
Lost in a February song
Tell him it won't be long
'Til he opens his eyes
Opens his eyes

I keep thinking no one is going to applaud or say anything but then I hear this thunderous applause. It was just what I needed to hear because let's face it, this was one of the toughest moments I faced. More so than the time I did Grease and almost forgot the lyrics to Greased Lightning. 

After the show, my friends are coming up and telling me I nailed it. I don't quite agree with that but then as I walk towards the door, I spot someone off in the distance smiling at me. 

"Told you that you would be great," Rob says to me. 

"Thanks."

We would find ourselves sitting on the hood of my car looking out at the river. I looked up at the night sky and I couldn't' help but think of my mom. "You think she heard it," I ask.

"She did and you know she would be proud." 

That was the day I realized that I didn't have to stop doing what I loved and that I still had the talent I thought I lost.