Chapter 18 ~ Harry

**Warning**

Small mention of blood

Lily was the last one to check on me before leaving me completely alone for the night. I didn't mind being alone much because it gave me some peace and quiet. Though I didn't use that quiet to think, instead, I used it to just be. There was too much that happened in the time frame of a month, too much to think about. So I didn't even try. I did, however, ask Scarlett if she would get me a journal and something to write with so I could write down anything I did think about. Which, at this point, was mostly just music.

Music was my escape from these days in hell. Not that it was completely hell, I mean, they treated us really well for the most part. Scarlett even made sure to accommodate my preference in food. At least now I know why Ajax and Lily freaked out when they found out I didn't eat meat. Even if she and I always fought and said hurtful things, Scarlett always made sure that I had everything I needed. Well, almost everything. I still wish, more than anything, that I could have my freedom back. Though that need wasn't quite as strong as before. Maybe that's why my most recent project is called 'Stockholm Syndrome'. Why was I feeling these things? The same feelings I had moved on from not even a year ago were resurfacing. But they were resurfacing for someone else. For someone I barely knew.

And I did not want them to resurface for her.

It wasn't because I hate her, because I don't. Even though I've said that to her on many occasions. I didn't want to feel these things for her because I didn't know anything about her. And for the obvious fact that she was one of my kidnappers. Aside from that, many, if not all, of our arguments were centred around the fact that I knew close to nothing about her. Along with why the hell three psychopaths were trying to kill us. Despite our many heated discussions, she refused to open up to me.

Scarlett Evans was a mystery. One that I wasn't sure I wanted to figure out. But I was going to try anyway.

It was one of those nights that Scarlett went to visit the final resting places of her parents. She told me that her parents, Adalyn Byteman-Evans and Aaron Evans, died in an accident just after her twelfth birthday. At least she told me that much.

She told me that, a few times a week, she would use her enhanced speed and stamina to run the many miles it took to get to the cemetery where they were buried. She never went into any more detail than that. Especially about the accident. I tried asking her about it a few times, but her body would tense up, then her eyes would go cold before she said the same phrase every time, "I don't remember. Don't ask." I knew that she was lying and I'm sure that she knew that I knew. But I was determined to find out whatever I could. That's probably why Scarlett left without saying goodbye tonight.

It was close to 2 am when I heard Scarlett's footsteps in the hallway, signalling that she was back. None of the girls had rooms up on the top floor, but she always quietly checked to see if everything and everyone was still in place. I knew that she wouldn't bother coming in any of our rooms, probably thinking that we were asleep. But I wasn't. I never am during these nights. They were almost routine for me for some reason. Scarlett leaves, I lay awake for hours, not bothering with sleep, she comes back, then I sleep until daybreak.

I never really thought to process why I was staying awake for her to come back, but I also never thought to not care. Whatever the hell I'm feeling for Scarlett is confusing the fuck out of me and I don't know what to do, so I'm just doing what feels right. I just hope it's the right choice. For both of us.

I listened for Scarlett's steps to recede down the hallway, but to my surprise, they didn't. They stopped at Niall's room. As quietly as I could, I slid off the bed and shuffled over to the wall that Niall and I shared. I pressed my ear to the wall, trying to hear what was going on.