Chapter 8 ~ Lily

My heart pounded against my chest as Scar and I neared our destination. I knew that we had to keep them safe, but Scar did come up with some pretty good points. How are we going to keep them fed for who knows how long? Do we get them new clothes? What if something like the FBI gets involved in trying to find the boys? If that happens, we are so dead.

Before Scar could notice my discomfort, she stopped. I was too wrapped up in my own mind to understand why. "Why did you stop?"

Scar turned around to face me before pointing in front of her. "We're here," she said. I moved my gaze over to the hotel.

The building that stood across the street from us stood out from the other buildings that surrounded it. It was built up high with red bricks and dark wood trim. The evenly spaced out windows were all framed with rust-colored, cement-like material. Some of the windows were covered from the inside with white curtains, blocking the light that was soon to come from the morning sun. The front entrance was decorated with Greek-style architecture pillars and various vases with plants spilling from them. There wasn't anyone going in and out of the beautiful building, probably because it was close to 1 a.m.

"So," I started as I knelt down next to a cluster of trees. Scar knelt next to me and started taking the stuff out of her bag. "There are a few ways that we can go about this."

"How about the easiest way," she suggested with a nervous smile. I shrugged.

"Then that would be going in through the back way, finding the security room, turning off the cameras, then finding the janitor's key ring and using it to open up the room and getting them out of there without anyone seeing," I ranted without a pause. I looked up at her when I finished laying out the skeleton of the plan. I frowned when I saw the look of confusion that she was giving me. "What?"

"That was the easy way?" she asked as she put on her blue and silver mask. I nodded and put on my pink one. She scoffed. "I don't even want to know what the other ones were."

I thought for a moment, quickly going through the other plans in my mind. "No," I agreed. "Probably not." I heard her sigh and stand up. I brushed the dirt off of my beige-colored t-shirt and blue jeans as I stood up as well. I handed Scar the glove box and waited as she took a pair out and put them on. When she was done, she handed the box back to me and I did the same.

"Where are we going to put the box?" I asked, sliding it back into the bag.

Scar looked around for a moment. "We could just hang it up on a tree and come back for it when we have the boys," she suggested as she looped it onto a branch.

"I suppose that works," I said. "Just as long as we don't forget it on our way back."

Scar sucked in a sharp breath. "Yeah," she agreed. "That would be bad."

I nodded. I took my bottom lip between my teeth and scanned the building again. Neither of us moved. "You know we're stalling," I said with a frown. Even as I said it, my stomach erupted with butterflies and my heart started to race.

"I know," she agreed. She breathed deeply before starting for the back of the hotel. "Let's get this over with quickly."

I walked behind her while nervously biting at my fingernails. Will this plan actually work? What if something goes wrong? What if someone calls the police and we don't get out in time? Questions plagued my mind as we neared the back entrance. The butterflies in my stomach got wilder and wilder as the door came closer. Soon, Scar was reaching out for it.

She looked back at me. "As soon as we open this door, there will be a target on our backs," she whispered.

I nodded and bit the inside of my cheek. "I know," I said. "But we have to."