Breakfast Challenge

Putting my hair into a bandanna, I rolled up my sleeves to my elbows. Going to the sink at my station to wash my hands, I saw the girl neighboring me eyeing the ingredients laid out on my table. She looked confused, but quickly turned away when she saw me looking at her.

  Smirking, I had a good feeling about this challenge.

  I was going to make this my declaration of war against these rich kids. I was going to let my banner fly and let these people know exactly what the Sakura Diner had lurking in its kitchen.

  Crowds of families were let into the hall to look around as Tohtsuki students began to cook. Oh, they were truly putting the ball in my court now. Serving families was a Sakura Diner specialty.

  Excitement flooded my veins when I heard we'd have to serve 200 dishes within the next two hours. Popping my knuckles, I knew without a doubt now this was my time to shine. I may not know what fancy folks wanted for their breakfast, but I knew enough to make something both pleasing to the eyes and stomach.

  My hands flew over the table as I worked and set up dishes to put them on trays. The scent alone was making people wander over to see what was being served, and I saw eyes light up when I put the trays out.

  "Sorry for the wait." I politely smiled as people picked up the plates from the trays. The sakura-shaped bread had a soft pink undertone to the rich brown crust, and the gentle omelette tucked between the petals had a delicate, sweet aroma. The omelette itself had small bits of onion and red bell pepper with various seasonings to balance out the taste, making the end result with the sakura bread a gentle, rich, sweet flavor.

  Smiles and hums of delight surrounded my station as people flocked to the trays. I had to work fast to keep up with them plucking up the dishes. It was as if they were picking flowers in a meadow. I'd taken into account this was meant to be buffet style and eggs went cold fast, so I thought of a way to keep the omelette warm until someone came along to eat it, but these people were taking them as quickly as they went out.

  The children were loving it, plucking apart the petals of the bread to hold the omelette to keep from getting messy.

 "Oh, these are so cute!" A woman gushed while picking up a plate. "This is a sakura flower, isn't it?"

  "It is." I replied while setting out another tray.

  "How did you manage this? It's not even spring anymore!"

  "With a touch of love, it's always spring." The woman's face flushed when she took a bite of food.

  "Gin Sakura, 200 plates reached!"

  "....Wait what? Already?" I turned to the pile of plates and rose my brows. "Oh.... Faster than I thought." Mumbling, I then turned back to see people still plucking up plates from the trays still set out.

  "Oh, my. Doesn't this look interesting?" I saw a girl with white hair and pale skin walk up to the side of my station. "What pretty flowers." She smiled while holding her chin as her red eyes danced over the trays.

  "Why not see how they taste just as good as they look?" I smirked as I held a plate out to her since she was another student.

  "Don't mind if I do." She took the plate and gripped one of the petals to tear the bread and omelette. Her eyes went wide as the blush was clear on her pale cheeks. My grin grew as she scarfed down the rest of the dish.

 "Whatcha think?"

  "It's...."

  "Hm?"

  "It's delicious." She muttered while averting her gaze.