BLUE Preliminaries

"Order up!"

  "I need those carrots!"

  "Over here."

  "Welcome to Sakura Diner! Can I get you anything to drink while you look at our menu?" I questioned the couple sitting in front of me.

  "Just water, please."

  "I'll take some green tea." The two replied with polite smiles before turning to look at the menu.

  "I'll be right back with that." I nodded before going to the kitchen. Getting a glass of water and a cup of green tea, I carried them out to the table and set them down. Talking with the couple, I took their orders and passed them along to the kitchen.

  The atmosphere of the diner was just as warm and welcoming as the last time I was there. The chatter and laughter from the tables kept a smile on my face as I took orders and carried trays of food around the diner.

  However, some of the chatter quieted to murmurs that caught my attention. Whispers about a pretty girl made me look toward the front of the diner as I was wiping down a table. I froze for a second when I saw Alice curiously looking around.

  What in the world was she doing here? Last I heard, she was traveling around Japan on a food tour with Ryo. I didn't see the guard dog anywhere with her, though.

  "Your Highness! What brings you here?" I spoke up with a smile, and Alice turned my way.

  "I've listened to you go on and on about this place. I thought I'd see for myself if it's really that great. So are you going to show me to a table or not?" Alice raised her chin while crossing her arms, and I chuckled.

  "Right this way." I waved my hand, and she happily walked over. "So how did you manage to get here on your own?" I asked as she took a seat and I showed her the drinks we had available.

  "Oh, I didn't. Ryo is putting my bags in the car." She waved her hand before brushing some of her hair behind her ear. "If he doesn't hurry up, I'm eating without him. I've been walking around all morning." Alice sighed, and I could guess she meant she'd been shopping all morning.

  "If it's such a bother, buy less next time." Ryo droned as he walked over to the table. "Hey, Gin." His tired gaze then drifted to me.

  "Hey. What brings you two to this area, anyhow?" I questioned while handing Ryo a menu.

  "I did say there was a place I wanted to try." Ryo sat down and rested his elbow on the table with his cheek in his hand. "Serving tables today?"

  "For now. I'll probably be back in the kitchen when dinner rush comes."

  "Good. Serve me." Ryo's words made me freeze as heat rushed to my cheeks.

  "Oh! I think Gin is having dirty thoughts!" Alice whispered with her hand in front of her mouth.

  "You have no room to tease me, Mistress." I popped off while placing my hands on my hips.

  "How many times do I have to tell you that it's not like that!" Alice pouted, and I chuckled.

  "Gin! Stop flirting with the customers and take their orders!" Mom shouted while waving her knife at me.

  "Oh, sorry! These two are from my school. This is Alice and Ryo." I gestured at the two as I said their names.

  "Alice and Ryo?" Dad's face popped up. "Take their order already! Don't be rude to your friends."

  "I got it, I got it!"