Gin vs Hayama

Looking at the name in the bracket with mine for the semifinals, my confidence plummeted. I was hoping I'd have more time before going against him, more time to learn new dishes or ways to prepare specific spices and herbs. I mean, I wasn't going to give up because of this, but this guy was incredible.

  Akira Hayama.

  Soma was paired with Ryo, and honestly, I wished I had gotten either of them. Tying in the preliminaries with those two meant we were closer in level with skill, whereas Hayama had first place. Not only that, but the scent of his food was intimidating from a competitive perspective.

  He was just a teenager like the rest of us but had such a mastery of spices. This bout was going to be difficult, to say the least. It'd be a tooth-and-nail fight, and I'd need something impressive if I wanted to win.

  But what would I cook?

~

  "I'm impressed." My gaze drifted to Hayama as we were waiting for the judges to finish tasting. This bout was degrees more stressful than the one against Takumi, and the pressure only mounted as the scent of Hayama's cooking filled the venue. It was a battle of aromas up until it was time to serve our dishes.

  "Really? Or are you just leading up to some trash talk?"

  "No, I'm serious." He looked at the judges while putting his hands on his hips. "I can smell how well you worked your spices. Even the judges look a little stumped."

  "Thanks. You're some serious competition to be pitted against." I crossed my arms while the judges were still thinking. "Though, I'm kind of glad this theme wasn't quite your element."

  "Oh?"

  "Yeah. Trust me, I'm well aware if the theme was your specialty, you'd win this by a landslide. However, given that it's not, you at least had to work at this even if you do win." There was a quiet pause, and I looked over at the taller boy. "What?"

  "You're a bit strange."

  "I know." I chuckled. "But I didn't want to lose this without making you bring your A-game, and I didn't want to win without defeating your best effort either."

  "So you're willing to accept losing?"

  "Pff, fuck no. I came to win. But if I lose, it won't feel as bad if I gave my all against your all. You know?"

  "And what do you plan on doing after?"

  "Same as before. Learning. I came to this school to get better, so no matter the outcome of this, that's what I'll do. Though, it'd feel really good to kick your ass." I then ran a hand through my hair and rubbed the back of my neck. "Is it just me or are you also getting really fuckin' nervous the longer they take to judge?"

  "I don't think I've ever seen the judges like this." Hayama's brows knit together, and a minute later, they announced who was the decided winner.

  "Akira Hayama!"

~

  "What in the world are you making?"

  "Macaroni and cheese."

  "Wha.... Huh?!"

  "I need comfort! Don't look at me like that!" I rose my voice at Alice while sprinkling parsley over the elbow noodles.

  "Aww, are you sad about losing? There, there." She was snickering while smacking my back.

  "I'm not sad. I'm upset. There's a difference."