Moon Festival

"Gin! Two more sakura mooncakes!

  "Got it!"

  "We need an anko over here! One with a rabbit!"

  "Here ya go!" I handed over the plates to the girls before they dashed out to the tables. They were also absolutely adorable while dressed like tigers- it had been their idea- and the adults seemed to adore it. The girls had convinced me to dress up like a dragon, though it was mostly themed clothes and a pair of short antlers.

  It may not be the attire of professional cooks, but everyone was having fun, so it was no big deal. People seemed to go wide-eyed as soon as they passed through the moon gate and saw the change of scenery on the other side of the wall. Outside was all hustle and bustle of people and booths while inside the wall was like a peaceful otherworld.

  We also weren't having any problems getting customers since people were curious, and the sign out front had my name and I'd made it all the way to the semifinals in the Fall Selection.

  It seemed just managing that had gotten people wanting to taste my food. They were laughing and eating the mooncakes with content, and the people that left to eat theirs while walking also acted as advertisements for the booth since they would leave with huge smiles and colorful cakes.

  "Three sakura dragons!"

  "They want two lotus seed moons."

  "Here, and here!"

  "Gin, another anko rabbit!"

  "On it!" And the tigers were off again to serve up the mooncakes. The sweets were making everyone smile and giggle, many were even reminiscing memories from when they were younger of happy fall days and even first loves. It looked as if my cooking was yet again seducing the senses to thoughts of warmth and love.

  It was refreshing.

  And as the sun inched down, the lights went on, and the place really came to life. The number of tickets was growing in the box under the counter as cakes were going out. Seeing all of these happy faces and the air smelling of delicate sweets made me feel....good. It was almost as if I was back home for the festival at the Sakura Diner.

  "What are you wearing?"

  "The girls wanted to wear costumes. Shouldn't you be at your booth with Alice and Hayama?"

  "It's a disaster." Ryo said flatly.

  "What? Really? How?"

  "Miss Alice wanted to take care of ordering ingredients. We ended up with two tomatoes and over ten boxes of turmeric."

  "Oh, shit. Sounds like you've had a stressful day." I chuckled while wiping my hands on a towel before leaning against the counter. "So, what can I get ya, sleepyhead? There's sakura, anko, and lotus seed fillings, and the mooncakes come in the shape of a flower or round with a rabbit, moon, or dragon design." He glanced from me to the large menu with pictures of the cakes.

  "Sakura dragon."

  "That one seems to be the most popular." Getting the mooncake for him, I set it out on a plate. His tired eyes looked to scrutinize the pink cake with an eastern dragon curling over the dough. Ryo picked it up and sniffed it before taking a bite.

  I felt a grin pull at my lips when he swallowed and his cheeks tinted a slight shade of pink. Even a soft smile had found its way onto his face as he looked at the mooncake.

  "Wow, you really aren't immune to my sweets." I saw his smile fall to a flat line much to my disappointment. I had finally found something that made him smile, and it had been adorable.