Gin vs Takumi

The third round of the quarterfinals was between Hayama and Hisako. The theme was hamburgers, and both contestants looked to have their own spin on the dish.

  Many sounds of disgust and horror came from the crowd as Hisako killed and butchered a softshell tortoise right on stage. Hayama, on the other hand, looked like he was making....kebab? Glancing at the time, I sighed. I wanted to watch the battle first-hand, but I had to get ready for my cook-off that was next.

  Getting up, I slunk away to go to my prep room to check on my ingredients and get ready. My opponent was Takumi Aldini, the loud blond always shouting challenges at Soma and getting laughed at by both Soma and his own brother. His specialty was Italian cooking, and anytime I saw him preparing food, he had a mezzaluna with him.

  Reaching my prep room, I went to the boxes and rolled up my sleeves. Lifting the lids, I went through my ingredients again to make sure everything was present and nothing had gotten damaged on the way here. I wasn't as nervous this time around since it was only one other person I was going against, though I was still cautious.

  I mean, Takumi had enough skill to get this far.

  But so did I. I was going to bring my all from the get-go. I was going to show all of Totsuki the Sakura Diner Demon.

  My head jerked up when there was a knock at the door.

  "The fourth battle is about to begin. Please prepare to go on stage."

  "All right." Taking a deep breath, I smacked my cheeks a couple of times to steel my nerves.

  "And now, the fourth bout of the Fall Selection! Takumi Aldini will go up against Gin Sakura! And now, here come the competitors!" Walking onto the stage as the emcee's voice came from above, I saw the serious look on Takumi's face as he locked eyes with me. He wore his usual white chef's outfit with orange accents, and unlike with Soma, he was dead quiet now.

  Narrowing my eyes, I crossed my arms.

  "If you're occupied by other things, Aldini, you'll lose. You're clearly bothered."

  "It's none of your business, Sakura."

  "Gin. It's fine to use my first name."

  "Then I'd like it if you used mine as well since my brother is also an Aldini."

  "Something happen with him?"

  "You seem rather perceptive."

  "I want my competition at their best so my victory isn't a fluke."

  "....I was challenged to a Shokugeki following our match. I cannot let someone talk so ill of my brother."

  "Then just kick the guy's ass." I held out my hand, and Takumi's eyes widened a fraction. "Right now, focus on our battle. You can worry about your Shokugeki after."

  "Then I'll just be winning twice in a row." He smirked while shaking my hand.

  "Don't look down on my cooking, Takumi. I don't pull my punches in competitions."

  "The theme is dessert! Let the cooking....begin!" The director shouted before a gong sounded. I was aware I had told Soma I had no area of specialty, and I didn't, but if I did....it would be sweets. Sakura and cherry were staples of the Sakura Diner. It was our name, our blood, our roots.

  To be named Sakura and to have a diner with the same name, customers expected a Sakura to know how to cook with sakura. The breakfast challenge at the resort had only touched on those skills and was such a success that I was going to do it again.