Break

"You're all tired, I'm sure." Fumio stood in front of the cafeteria with her arms crossed. "Tonight, you'll be treated to a feast."

  "Score!"

  "It's been a while since we've had Fumio's food!"

  "Well, I'm not the one who'll be cooking."

  "Hey, Soma, you're back? Then lend me a hand."

  "Sure."

  "Handle the mise en place, would you? I've already made the stock."

  "Yeah, sure." Soma nodded before his expression changed. "Wait, I just fell back into old patterns! What are you even doing here?!"

  "What's this? You know him?" Fumio put her hands on her hips as the rest of us were peeking into the kitchen.

  "Wh-Who is he?" Megumi asked.

  "A graduate of Totsuki Academy and a former Kyokusei resident."

  "A graduate of Totsuki?" Soma looked shocked.

  "Talk about a generation gap. You don't know the former #2 seat on the Ten, Joichiro Saiba?"

  "Former #2 seat on the Ten?!"

  "'Saiba'?"

  "Ah, the rice should be about ready, Soma."

  "Who cares?! Just tell me what's going on, Dad!"

  "They're father and son?!"

  "Hmm, that makes sense."

  "Oh, you with the blue eyes and the mean face." The man was looking right at me, and I pointed at myself to be sure. "Yeah. You're Yuki's kid, aren't you?"

  "How did you....?"

  "You look just like your mother."

  "You know my mom?"

  "Of course! She used to board here, too!" He laughed. "Small world, eh? Also, now I get why folks were callin' you the Sakura Diner Demon. Soma, maybe take a page from Gin's book and bulk up a little."

  "How do you know my name? Do people really call me that?!"

  "Oh, I still keep up with Yuki. I've visited the Sakura Diner a few times as well, and yes, folks were calling you that." He then turned back to the stove. "Mm, let's see.... The last time I visited the Sakura Diner must have been 2-3 years ago? And you were already being called a demon." He laughed again.

~

  "So are you going back to Sakura Diner during the break?"

  "Yup. I've got a lot of new recipes to show off." I waved the little notebook I usually kept in my pocket.

  "So Bowl-Soc was a good fit for you?"

  "Definitely. Rice bowls emphasize on being a complete meal while remaining cheap. Focusing on them has really given me a lot of ideas and new ways to do other dishes, too."

  "Oh?"

  "Yeah. I think next I'll focus on ramen to see if I can accomplish the same thing. You know, making cheap taste amazing."

  "Good luck."

  "You going back to Yukihira?" I questioned while looking over at the redhead as we were walking.

  "Yeah, but I'm just gonna air out the place. Can't exactly run Yukihira with my dad overseas."

  "Well, if you ever get too bored, feel free to come over to the Sakura Diner for a little while."