Failing a Mission (2)

The waft of chicken hit Theo as soon as he opened the door.

Scourge scrambled out of Theo's cloaks and scampered to the bed where Mark sat with a large chicken platter.

Mark swatted at Scourge but couldn't stop him from stealing a piece of the crispy meat.

"Sorry," Theo laughed, "Scourge hasn't been impressed with traveling rations."

"It's fine. I'm just not sure I can get used to a tiny dragon stealing food." Marc offered the plate to Theo.

Theo grabbed a piece and slid to the floor. There were no chairs in the small room.

Theo took a bite of food before speaking.

"You wouldn't believe the job my boss has given me," Theo grumbled. "He wants me to steal a ring from a Laenders' vault. Do you know how tough their security is?"

"That's so unreasonable," Marc said, grasping for words.

"I'm so glad I have a trustworthy friend who can sympathize with me." Theo shoveled chicken in his mouth while he acted to satisfy the spell that wrapped around his neck.

"So what does he want you to steal?" Marc asked.

"I'm supposed to steal a ring that goes with the earring I showed you earlier." Theo ate another piece of chicken before continuing. "It's gold and has a black stone. The stone should be in the shape of a diamond. It also has some sort of enchantment on it."

"Do you know what it's spelled with?" Marc asked as he leaned forward, trying to listen for whatever clues Theo could give him.

"No. I just know that it's something that must automatically affect the person that touches it. Dullahan forbid me to directly touch it."

"Which vault in Laenders do you have to break into?" Marc asked.

"The local lord's external vault. It should be in a cave."

Theo wondered if this dunce of a guard would really be able to contact a lord and convince them to move one of their treasures.

Theo hoped he would be able to.

Then Theo could subvert Dullahan's mission by chalking the failure up to incorrect information.

It would be a win-win situation for everyone except Dullahan if everything went to plan.

Theo reached for another piece of chicken, only to find the plate empty.

"Eehhh. We're out of food. Guess I'll go get more. You want anything?" Theo asked as he stood up.

"You know what goes with fried chicken best?" Marc asked.

"Beer?"

"Exactly."

***

"How do you eat so much and still look like that?"

Marc watched as Theo shoved yet more food in his mouth.

Theo looked at his thin wrist. Lanky would be a kind way to describe him.

"I have a hectic schedule. Sometimes I end up missing meals. Or having to live off of field rations."

"Oooh. Those aren't very filling."

"Nope," Scourge said sadly while nibbling on a cookie. "Mortal Theo forced me to sup on hot water yesterday."

"It was stew," Theo said, flicking Scourge on the forehead.

Marc sipped his beer as he watched the two interact.