The Gems (7)

"Since you're being less destructive with fire production, we should see if you're able to handle a new spell," Marie said as they took a break on their journey to the Quartz Mountains.

"What about a water-related spell," Theo suggested.

"Water?" Marie asked.

"That way, I could put out the fires if I lose control or clean up my blood like Giselle does," Theo said.

[An excellent idea,] Stabby said. [Brilliance is expected from one of Numen's children.]

"Yeah, just be careful not to start a Tsunami to avoid a summoning," Carrot said. "The lizard could get swept away."

"I am not a lizard!" Scourge sunk his claws into Carrot's neck, but they were too small to do much damage.

"It's a good idea," Marie said, "I am more skilled at things involving explosions, fire, and electricity, but I should be able to show you the basics."

Marie chanted a spell, imbuing magic into a bullet. When she loaded and shot the bullet, it made a small splash of water on impact.

"I can see how that would be underwhelming," Carrot snorted at Marie's attempt.

"Oh shut up, you jostly pony," Marie spat at Carrot, using Scourge's nickname for the unicorn.

"Scourge, what have you been saying around others," Carrot chided the dragon.

"Nothing," Scourge said sweetly while scampering for Theo's shoulder.

"Unfortunately, I'm about as skilled as Marie when it comes to using water-related spellwork," Marc said. "Giselle would be the best at demonstrating this for you."

[Remember to have restraint,] Stabby warned Theo.

Marc laughed at the squabbles of the group while Theo focused on holding back all but a speck of his mana. He chanted the spell Marie showed him while focusing on water filling his cupped palms. The water summoned as expected but kept flowing out of his palms until the ground around him was a mud puddle. However, Theo could forcibly break the spell thanks to his experiences with the fire spell.

"That was relatively not awful," Marie clapped for Theo.

"Genius Papa Mortal Theo," Scourge cheered.

"Thanks," Theo patted Scourge's head. He had learned to just roll with whatever title the dragon used. "If I can get enough control to surround myself with water, it would be impossible to accidentally summon a monster." Theo's face was practically radiating.

"Theo, make sure you don't drown yourself," Carrot said, giving Theo a pointed look. "It would be better to accidentally summon some creature than to drown."

Theo averted his gaze from Carrot.

[I agree,] Stabby said. [The release of mana upon your death would be far more harmful than anything you can summon.]

"Wait, what," Theo froze, and everyone stared at Stabby. They had learned not to ignore Stabby when he made cryptic references to Theo's mana. "What do you mean by the release of my mana?"

[Well, if you are the last of your clan, there's no one to pass the mana on to,] Stabby said. [Numen designed it so that the mana redistributes among clan members after they pass away.]

"That's a terrible plan," Marie shouted with a gaping mouth.

[Numen was wise,] Stabby sniffed. [You humans were foolish to kill so many of Numen's children. Numen's mana was supposed to spread thinner as the clan grew and intermarried with other clans, not become concentrated to one person.]