Save the traitor (2)

From the very beginning, Carrot was in a bad mood. He had to slip into the capital by blending in with some traveling merchant's horses since he didn't have Theo.

On top of that, he was so stressed about Theo that his coat was starting to lose some of its beautiful sheen. It was a tragedy.

So when he met Marc at the capital's square, the poor guard was already at a disadvantage.

"Where's your master?" Marc asked.

"That brat is hardly my master," Carrot seethed.

"Oh, uh, sorry. So where's Theo?"

"He had to go on a mission for Dullahan."

"What's the mission?"

"Look, I'm not like that idiot." Carrot hissed. "I don't want to give you any information that can hurt Theo."

"I'm not planning on hurting hi-"

"I'm sure you aren't until he's outlived his usefulness and you have a surefire way of disposing him lined out," Carrot said with a snort. "You also would meddle in whatever he's doing without concern for how it will affect him."

The two stared at each other for a few seconds.

For the first time, Marc found himself wondering exactly how Theo had ended up with this creature as a loyal companion.

"So what'd Theo want to meet about?" Marc broke the silence. "I can ask that, right?"

"After the last stunt you two pulled with the safe in Laenders, Dullahan suspected there was a spy."

"Seems logical," Marc said.

"The problem was there actually was a spy."

"Oh."

"Theo tried to rescue the guy, but he couldn't." Carrot continued his explanation. "The name the man used was Owen. Don't know his family name or if it's his real one."

"Guess he didn't want us thinking he tried to get one of our spies captured."

"No, he genuinely considered this an emergency for the sake of the spy." Carrot snorted. "Theo's kind. He's not some monster like you want to believe."

"Right. He's some nice guy who just kill-"

"Shut up when you don't know anything," Carrot growled, holding the tip of his horn against Marc's throat.

"Between Theo and me, we can see who is more suited to play the role of the villain." Carrot glared at Marc for a beat before continuing. "Theo was probably hoping I would share more information with you, but that just makes you more likely to try to throw Theo away sooner. So I will only help you with this one mission to rescue Owen. Don't expect anything more from me."

"Okay, okay," Marc said, holding up his hands. "I will gratefully accept whatever information you choose to share with me."

"Good." Carrot took a step back.

"But aren't you a little too protective of Theo?" Marc asked. "I mean, seriously."

"Shut up, and let's figure out how to rescue your side's little spy."

Marc sat back down on the fountain's edge and thought momentarily before speaking again. "I could arrange for a small group of 4-6 men to rescue Owen."

"I don't understand how a mere guard like you is so confident that he can mobilize people like that." Even though Carrot kept a reasonably pleasant tone, his words were cutting.

"Don't worry. I got it." Marc waved Carrot's worries aside.

"You know this isn't the type of thing any ruffian with a sword can handle, right."

"I know some competent people," Marc explained. "The bigger problem is deciding when to pull this off."

Carrot grunted derisively in response.

"I was thinking maybe a couple of weeks out. I want Theo there to help."

"Owen probably won't survive that long," Carrot said bluntly. "Theo tried to complain about Owen's rough treatment in a roundabout way, but I doubt the guards will take it to heart for very long."

Marc massaged his temples.

"That's a problem," the guard said. "What's the longest we could put this off for?"

"He might be able to survive one more week. It is difficult to be sure Owen will last that long, though. Measuring time in days instead of weeks would be safer."

"Okay." Marc rubbed his face, and his shoulders slumped. "I'll see what I can do."

"I assume the men that tailed us last time gave you an accurate description of where Dullahan's current base is," Carrot said.

"You knew?"

"We are not so dense that we would miss a couple of human stalkers." Carrot bit out and swished his tail.

"We just-"

"I am not looking for excuses."

"Can you cut it out with the interrupting?" Marc asked, glaring at Carrot.

"I will when you have something worthwhile to say."

"...Are you willing to help with the extraction?"

"Not overtly," Carrot said. "I'm too easy to recognize and refuse to do anything that could hurt Theo."

"Would you guide my men when they are escaping? Having someone more familiar with the terrain would help."

"Do you have someone who could cast dye magic on me? I would want to be disguised."

"I can find someone."

Carrot and Marc continued to hammer out the details of the rescue mission.

They decided that Carrot would stay with Marc until the extraction occurred since Carrot didn't have anywhere he could go.

Besides, it would be easier for the two to communicate this way. Carrot couldn't exactly wear a couple's ring to stay in touch.