To the Palace (6)

Once Theo was bound with the mana suppressors, Carrie dismissed everyone except for herself, Leanne, Victor, Marc, Vinn, Giselle, and Marie.

"When you get a chance, don't forget to come read 'The Adventures of Shelly the Seashell' to us," Eli cried as the other knights pulled him away. "It's rare to find someone who embodies Shelly's voice so well."

Theo thought it was ironic that Eli thought he was the best voice for Ascia's favorite children's book character.

"Come on, you oaf," the petite knight, Iris, pulled Eli by his sleeve. "But also, if you are reading about Shelly, we'll be in town the next few weeks."

"I practically live at the King's Guard training grounds," Eli sniffed sadly.

"Don't let them send you out on a mission before we finish the sports day arc." The hulking knight continued, "I need to know if Shelly learns to kick a ball in time for sports day."

"Hmm," Iris murmured. She stopped tugging Eli forward as she pondered the book. "It is challenging for a shell to learn to kick."

"Shelly vanquished the seaweed!" Scourge shouted. "He can conquer the kicking as well."

"We are attempting to prepare to meet our royal highnesses, King Vincent Ascia and Queen Lisbeth Ascia," Carrie cooly stopped their conversation. "Why in Numen's name are you discussing shells playing sports?"

Eli looked indignant. "Shelly is an outstanding shell-"

"We'll leave now," Iris squeaked, pulling Eli and running after the other knights who had exited the room much faster than Eli and her.

"Now, shall we go meet our rulers with manners that are evident of our rank," Carrie made eye contact with everyone.

When she got to Theo, she frowned. "Try to gather whatever decorum you may have."

Theo's expression remained blank.

He had practiced being nonreactive to Dullahan for years. How Carrie treated him was nothing in comparison.

It also helped that Theo knew he wouldn't embarrass himself.

For reasons Theo never understood, Dullahan had been obsessed with ensuring his favorite puppet followed etiquette around him.

"This way, if all our esteemed knights and our guests are ready," One of the butlers who had put the suppressors on Theo said.

Much to Theo's surprise, the butler led them to a large dining room.

He had expected to meet the king and queen in a dungeon or, at the very least, a formal audience room.

Theo turned to Marc in shock, but Marc's expression was fixed somewhere between tired resignation and existential dread.

He did not pay any attention to Theo.

The king and queen sat side-by-side at the head of the long, wooden table.

The king and queen looked much like the last time Theo had seen them, though it was only now that Theo noticed how much Marc resembled her.

The two shared the same delicate facial features. The only differences were that her eyes were green instead of Marc's brown, and her smile had a sharper edge.

"Welcome home Marcus," The king greeted them in a deep, gentle voice. He wore an easy smile that reached his chestnut eyes. "Welcome, our esteemed knight and guests."

Theo bowed formally despite the king's surprisingly casual greeting.

"Please, take a seat," The queen smiled.