A journey (3)

After meeting with Marc, Theo collected Carrot and made his way to the portal.

It was in a large brick building. The building was ostentatious, with many flashy architectural elements. It was a place that primarily catered to the wealthy.

Using a portal for transportation required a lot of magic and was not cheap.

While outside the building, Theo opened the pouch Dullahan had given him and poured a marble-like pill into his palm. It was a dark, murky color. Theo popped it into his mouth.

The pill came into effect immediately. Theo could feel his magic twisting. It wasn't a painful experience nor particularly worrisome like when his magic had been sealed. Instead, it was a somewhat itchy feeling.

"Your magic smells different." Scourge peeped out of Theo's pocket.

"Good, that means it works." Theo patted the dragon on the head. "You should eat one, too. I don't want you to be detected before we enter the portal."

"No way!" Scourge turned his head. "That medicine stinks."

"But we have to be able to use the portal." Theo protested.

"Just summon one of those shadow thingies. I can hide in that."

Theo blinked. That was unexpected. "But how?"

"Your magic is a medium for creatures like me. I already used it to enter this plane. Chilling in a shadow for a little is nothing." Scourge tipped his nose upward. Theo didn't really get it, but if it solved the problem.

"Okay." Theo tugged at the shadows in his sleeve. They wriggled into his palm and made a small black pool.

"See you later, Mortal Theo, Carrot." Scourge hopped in.

Watching the dragon disappear into the dark pool on his palm was a little disconcerting. Theo wondered if that's what it looked like to others when he slipped into shadows. Strange.

Theo let the shadow seep back into his sleeve.

"Well, that is surprisingly helpful of the little twerp," Carrot said as he and Theo walked to the entrance of the building.

At the entrance of the building, there was a small window. Theo stopped in front of the window and held up his identification. A young woman slid open the window and took Theo's identification.

It was fake, of course.

"Hello, Mr. Godfrey. Will you be purchasing a ticket for the portal?"

"Yes, one for today, please. For me and the unicorn."

"There's a slot open in about thirty minutes. Will that one do?"

Theo nodded and exchanged money with the young woman. Using the portal was obscenely expensive.

"Please move to the door. A gentleman will let you enter shortly."

Theo followed the woman's instructions, and a man opened the door within minutes. Theo and Carrot stepped through a magic barrier to cross the doorway. Then, the man held up a blue orb.

"Please place your hand on the orb." The orb glowed, and the man gave a short nod.

The pill had done its job because the man seemed satisfied with whatever the measuring orb indicated.

The man then placed the orb against Carrot's shoulder. The orb glowed once again.

"Right this way, then." The man began to lead the way to the portal.

The room the man led Theo to was quite large.

The vast floor was covered with an elaborate and detailed magic circle. The magic circle was carved into the floor and inlaid with gold.