Failing a Mission (4)

In a finely decorated and luxurious sitting room, two men couldn't take their eyes off the crystal orb on the table before them.

The orb was paired with others in the vault Theo was breaking into and transmitting the scene to them in real-time. It was ludicrously expensive but well worth the money since they knew Theo would be there.

One man, Lord Laenders, ran a hand through his blond hair, which was just starting to turn white.

"This from a man who had no intention of actually stealing anything," Laenders muttered. "I admit, I am unsure what to think after watching this."

Marc rubbed his eyes. He couldn't directly say anything about Theo due to the oath he made, but Laenders was able to piece together the situation well based on what Marc could say.

Laenders nodded before speaking. "I can guess the man's identity based on the magic he used." Laenders took a sip of tea. "He seems earnest, but it is difficult to trust someone who has harmed the continent so." Laenders continued.

Marc's agitation showed as he gnashed a pastry.

"Hmm. It would be regrettable to trust the information Dullahan's dog provides and fall for one of Dullahan's ploys."

Laenders refilled his teacup. He had to carry on the conversation due to Marc's situation. He was carefully gauging Marc's reaction to everything he said.

"Regardless of the dog's intentions, it would be most difficult to reintroduce it to society." Laenders spoke again. "Both nobles and commoners have been bitten by it."

Marc inclined his head at Laenders' statement. He couldn't argue with the sentiment. Nobody had forgotten the tragedy of Athenelly.

Marc was well aware that he would need to use Theo as much as possible. And when he had reached the end of his usefulness, they would have to figure out the safest way to eliminate him.

But he couldn't shake the incongruity of the smiling young man who spilled as many of his boss's secrets as possible with the continent's worst killer.

Regardless of his confusion over Theo's dualism, Marc would take whatever actions he needed to.

"Report back to me when your men discover the camp," Marc said and set his teacup down before standing up. "Let's get more information before we make our next move."

Laenders nodded.

He had agreed to have three men trail Theo back to Dullahan's base.

Marc had clues about where the base was, but they couldn't be sure that the information Theo previously provided was not a trap, especially since the swamp he indicated was full of dangerous, magical beasts.

***

The unicorn signaled Theo by stomping a foot and tossing his head to the right.

Theo shook his head in response. He knew what had Carrot agitated.

There were some men following him. In fact, they had been following him since he left the cave.

He assumed the men had been ordered to trail him because they had made no movements to fight or capture him.

He would have to stay vigilant in case they got ideas to attack him. But also make sure he traveled slowly enough that they could keep up and follow him back to base.

Theo wasn't wholly against being captured by the enemy. Still, he would have to ensure Marc was trustworthy and had strict instructions beforehand.

When Theo was younger, he had let himself be held hostage, and Dullahan had decided to rescue him.

It was a massacre.

And then Theo had been punished for his carelessness.

Plus, he never knew if whoever decided to try to fight or capture him would take his warnings to not make him bleed seriously.

Another time he had let a group of knights capture him. They didn't believe Theo when he warned them not to make him bleed.

They had all died.

Oops.

Yes, Theo would have to be careful. Even his cooperation was dangerous to those around him.

"Let's leave and get a few miles in before the sun sets," Theo said, patting Carrot on the neck.

"Good," Carrot flicked his ears forward as he spoke.

"But let's travel at a moderate pace," Theo murmured.

"Are you insane? Am I the only one with a brain among us?" Carrot glared at Theo. He wanted to keep a fast pace to lose the men following them.

Theo stared back.

The two were limited in what they could say because of the oath. Fortunately, they had known each other all their lives and could fight with or without words.

Carrot eventually gave in, but Theo knew that Carrot would try to lose their friendly-ish stalkers at the first sign of trouble.

"I am lucky that you endure me," Theo said while packing their camp.

"Yes, you are Mortal Theo," A small dragon cut into their conversation as it finished the last of its supper. "It is truly a blessing that you have the benevolent me-"

Theo picked Scourge up by the scruff of his neck and plopped him in the cloak pocket.

"And you're lucky you're a good heater," Theo said.

"Excuse me. This great one believes his ears must have lied to him!" Scourge squawked while he squirmed inside the cloak.

By the time they arrived to base, Theo was almost relieved.

Surely the men would leave to report to whoever they were reporting to, and he would be free to subvert his next mission in peace.

Like the last time he had visited, Carrot and Theo separated quickly and he went straight to Dullahan.

Theo drew in his breath and straightened his spine.

Hopefully he could play his cards right and avoid having too much of Dullahan's anger directed at himself.

He should be able to if he was careful.