Afternoon tea

The next day, the queen invited Theo and Scourge to tea.

An elderly butler delivered the invitation along with a set of fresh clothes and orders to bathe.

Carrot quickly made himself scarce, running for the stables.

"I am perfectly capable of bathing by myself," Theo insisted as the butler lingered by the attached bathroom.

"Your current state suggests otherwise," the butler said.

"Do not worry, Mr. Mortal Butler," Scourge said, stretching on his pillow, "Mortal Theo is obsessed with soap."

"I must inform you that my name is Rowan Ashbluff, not Mortal Bulter," the butler sniffed. "I am more than my occupation."

"Yes sir, Mr. Mortal Butler Rowan Ashbulff," Scourge said. "You know, that name is really a mouthful."

Theo snatched the clothing and slammed the bathroom door behind him while Scourge distracted Rowan with his antics.

"I will wait here, esteemed guest," Rowan called through the door.

"Please feel free to leave," Theo said.

"I have strict orders to see to all your needs," Rowan replied. "To leave would be to betray her royal highness."

Theo ignored the butler and scrubbed himself clean as fast as possible.

He didn't want to find out how the butler reacted to the web of scars covering his body and arms.

He had seen the horrified looks Marie and the others had given his scars.

Theo could tell they were trying to hide their reactions out of consideration for him, but it must be hard for the others to see proof of all the times he summoned the hell-creatures.

He was soon dressed in a simple set of trousers and a button-up shirt.

Despite the garments' simple construction, the fabric felt luxurious.

"Hmm," Rowan muttered as he adjusted Theo's collar.

Rowan then attacked Theo's hair with a comb and oil.

He shortly had half of it tied up in a more refined version of Theo's normal hairstyle.

Sourge was not spared from the butler's attention.

The butler efficiently tied a neat bow around Scourge's neck with a ribbon that matched the one he used on Theo.

This detail was not lost on Scourge, and the tiny dragon purred with satisfaction.

The corners of Rowan's eyes crinkled at Scourge's reaction.

Theo scowled. He couldn't help but like someone who treated the kid well.

"Now you look respectable," Rowan nodded, evidently pleased with his handiwork. "I will lead you to her royal highness."

The situation annoyed Theo.

He couldn't say no without starting a huge fight, and phrasing orders as invitations felt strange.

At least with Dullahan's blunt demands, he knew what to expect.

So despite his misgivings, they met Queen Lisbeth on her private balcony in the royal chambers.

Theo sat silently, occasionally raising the teacup to his lips but never drinking.

"I don't have an interest in poisoning my son's friends," The queen said, taking his cup and sipping from it before returning it to his plate. "Besides, Marcus has warned me about the risks involved."