Chapter 22

Chapter 22

I was stood with my mother as she looked at me.

"you be safe, you here me." She told me simply.

"I could say the same about you, I don't want to make a habit of having to save you again." She looked at me sternly before laughing, out of the corner of my eye I saw someone who I recognised.

"Charlie." I exclaimed as I pulled his attention, he smiled at me before running over in my direction.

"I thought I recognised you." He told me as I pulled him in for a hug, I stepped back and noticed the bruise underneath his eye.

"you didn't have that the last time I saw you."

"last time I saw you, you were promised to help me with my homework, it's courtesy of the carrows." I laughed at his remark, he was right. The last time I saw him I promised to help him with his homework and never did.

"I think you're a long way from needing me to help you with your homework." Ginny ran over and grabbed me.

"Amanda, come on we need you. McGonnogall has given us a task." I regarded Ginny as I looked at my mum and hugged her.

"you stick close to her Charlie, keep her safe for me. I'll see you on the other side." I said as I ran off with Ginny.

"McGonnogall once us to do what now?" I asked Ginny as we ran around the halls.

"blow the bridge up, well not right now but make sure it's ready to blow just incase."

"and how are we meant to do that?" I questioned her, we slowed as we got to the bridge.

"who else would she trust." I heard as I looked up and was faced with Seamus, Neville and a few other students, I laughed.

"of course, it would be you Seamus." I told him as he held his hands out.

"ok so you all need to take these and place them on the outside of the bridge, they will just stick to the side."

"I don't even want to know why you had these already made." I told him simply as he smiled at me weakly.

I looked up to see a blue dome which has appeared around the school, our protection for now as quick as I it had appeared it was gone, invisible.

"I want charges on every joist, so you'll need to get down there." Seamus told us.

"and how do you expect us to do that?" I questioned him, he looked behind him as Katie, Cho and Nigel came forward holding broomsticks. I grabbed a broomstick from Katie as she looked at me.

"good to have you back."

"it's good to be home Katie." I told her as I mounted the broomstick and made my way down the bridge placing charges as directed by Seamus. Neville, Ginny and Seamus seemed to get the best jobs, supervising making sure no-one was getting through the invisible barrier. I placed my last charge as I heard a noise that sounded like running, I looked to my right over towards Neville as I heard a scream like a battle cry. There was a hundred or so death eaters running towards the bridge, one by one they run towards the barrier as they bounce back off it. I fly back up towards the bridge as I land and I hear Neville goading the death eaters.

"yeah you and whose army." He throws his arm up into the air as sparks fly from his wand.

"watch it Neville." Seamus says as he has his hands full with more charges.

"need a hand?" I asked him as I offer to take more charges from him, he nods his head as I take more charges and mount my broom again, placing them as quickly and carefully as I can. Keeping one eye on the other side of the bridge where the death eaters wait, placing the last one in it's spot I fly back up and discount standing next to Ginny and Seamus.

"all done?" I asked him as he nods, I look out at Neville standing at the other side of the bridge. There's a sound like thunder in the sky as I look up and see a white streak against the shield which is now becoming more visible.

"oh that can't be good." I say as I look at Ginny, getting my wand out ready. There's a loud crack as a hole appears in the barrier as it starts to fade.

"Neville run!" I shouted at him as he starts running back towards us. The death eaters had started running in our direction, spells flying in Neville's direction.

"Ready!" Ginny shouts as she lifts up her wand, I do the same. I look to my side to see Seamus with a huge smile on his face.

"Are you bloody joking?!" Neville shouts back at her as he raises his wand ready. I get ready to cast my spell but it's too late, the charges have already started to go off as the bridge starts to fall apart in places, taking death eaters with it. I turn to look at Seamus who has a more maniacal smile on his face realising he set off the charges.

"he's good, he'll make it." Seamus says as more of the bridge starts to fall apart, getting incredibly close to Neville.

"Are you sure about that?" I said as I mount the broom in my hand ready to take off.

"he's good." He says now, a little more unsure. Neville was fairly close to us but the charges were closing in, the next one goes off underneath his feet. I dart forward on the broom towards him, as the ground slips away from under his feet and he's plummeting down. I speed up and put my hand out, I quickly find his arm and hold on as I change direction and shoot straight back up.

"ahhhh." I screamed as I held on to Neville with all I could, we landed in a heap next to Ginny and Seamus as Ginny looks down on me, I look up and smile.

"Told you I'd bring it down." Seamus said as I laughed.

"kind of thrilling, you know exciting." Seamus winked at him as he put an arm out and pulled him up as Ginny helped me stand.

"you're both mad." She told them simply. Neville laughed as I joined in shaking my head. I was pulled out of my laughter by a loud boom, that shook the ground. I looked out into the distance.

"is that giants?" I questioned.

"that can't be good."