° • 1k reads / christmas oneshot • °

author's note : this oneshot takes place sometime between when jay arrives at the monastery and when zane arrives

author's note : this oneshot takes place sometime between when jay arrives at the monastery and when zane arrives. yes, i am aware that it is not quite christmas when i publish this the second time around, but i'm still weirdly proud of this oneshot because i really enjoyed writing it and i love found family bonding time- and, if you squint you'll realize that this does indeed further the plot of the book! plus, this chapter has very few reads and even less feedback, so i'd encourage y'all to give it a chance! don't let the holiday setting and 7.6k words intimidate you. (it's also one of the last few chapters before zane makes his debut. do with that information what you will.)

trigger warnings : mentions of (minor) past injuries in a humorous, storytelling manner

words : 7,591

another quick note : start getting excited for next week, because big things are happening for 'emergence'! the much anticipated, never-before published, zane-central chapter nine will be released in conjunction with my birthday (on the 29'th), and the 3k reads special will be released the following day! i'm super excited to share both of these things with you, and i hope that you will enjoy them! thank you for your support! <33

thank you all for 1k reads! 

( first published february 2021 )

Cole. Cole! Wake up, Cole! Wake up!

Somehow, even in the middle of his dreams, Cole realized that he heard someone calling him. He was too sleepy to register who it was at first, but as their voice soon pulled him back into consciousness, he recognized Jay's anxious chatter, and opened his eyes to find that the auburn-haired teen was shaking him.

"What is it, Jay?" He mumbled, voice slurred slightly and a little scratchy.

Something told him that he should be concerned that Jay was waking him up, and that there could be something wrong, but he was honestly too tired to care. Too tired to even be grumpy with Jay. So, he just rolled over onto his back, groaning softly as he rubbed his bleary eyes and waited for the younger teen to explain himself.