° • chapter one • °

thank you all for reading this story and for sticking with me so far, i'm so excited to be able to share this journey with you! i hope that you'll enjoy these first few chapters and getting to know lyla and all of the other characters better, ther...

thank you all for reading this story and for sticking with me so far, i'm so excited to be able to share this journey with you! i hope that you'll enjoy these first few chapters and getting to know lyla and all of the other characters better, there's certainly a lot in store for them and i have so much planned! in this chapter you'll really get to meet lyla and cole and see the first bit of their own journey as they start to find their way in the world. i absolutely love the sibling relationship that they share, and the fact that this story gives me a chance to better explore and develop cole's character, which is something i feel has been kind of neglected in the show.

trigger warnings: none

words : 2,953

chapter one : just us against the world 

"Come on, Cole. We're going to be late for class." Lyla gently nudged her brother's arm, but he remained seated at the table and continued to pick at his food. They'd only been here at the Marty Oppenheimer School Of Performing Arts for a few weeks, and he still had the tendency to make them late for classes quite often. Especially if those classes were ones that he didn't enjoy, like dancing. Which they were about to take.

Cole sighed and rubbed a hand over his tired eyes and through his thick black hair, unknowingly messing it up a bit. "What if I don't want to go to class?" He questioned. "I'm sure that there are other, better things that we could be doing right now." 

"You just don't want to go to dance class. I know you don't enjoy it, but like it or not it has become a part of our daily lives." Lyla frowned a little as she leaned over to her brother and began fixing his hair for him. He gave her a mildly annoyed look and pushed her hand away.

"Maybe I would like it if I wasn't such a failure at dancing." Cole felt his hair to see how badly she had messed it up, and seemed satisfied to discover that it was fine. "It's no exaggeration to say that I'm the worst dancer in the entire class. Maybe even the whole school."