° • prologue • °

here's the prologue! hope you all enjoy the first part of this story and getting to meet some of the main characters! for those of you who have read the original version of this prologue, you may recognize that i've changed the name of one of the ...

here's the prologue! hope you all enjoy the first part of this story and getting to meet some of the main characters! for those of you who have read the original version of this prologue, you may recognize that i've changed the name of one of the characters (you'll know who i'm talking about once you start reading), and i don't want you to be alarmed or confused, i just wanted to keep things more consistent with the canon stuff after i watched some of the later seasons.

trigger warnings: main character death, mentions of cancer, implied neglect/abandonment, kind of depressing vibes all throughout the whole thing

words: 3,267

prologue : a bond unbroken by tragedy

Lilly Brookstone sat with her two children on the grass outside their small home. The summer's sun was shining softly on the three of them as they sat together, laughing amongst themselves. Her son Cole was pointing out the different flowers that were growing around them, while his baby sister Lyla was sitting in their mother's lap, watching him with a smile.

Their father was away for the week, touring with his singing group, The Royal Blacksmiths. Any day now he would be back with his family, but for now the Brookstone children had their mother all to themselves. Cole looked almost exactly like his father, he had the same black hair and chocolate brown eyes, while Lyla had crystal blue eyes and golden blonde hair. Lilly loved them both so much.

Though she missed Lou and was looking forward to his return, she was grateful for this chance to spend some time alone with her children. They were growing up so fast, and she knew that she wouldn't always be here to take care of them. A few years after Cole's birth she had been diagnosed with cancer, and though it wasn't life-threatening she knew that there was a possibility that one day she would have to say goodbye.

She'd given up her life as the elemental master of earth a long time ago, choosing to settle down and have a family. Though she sometimes missed her previous life, she didn't regret her decision. She loved both of her children, and they had a strong bond, one that seemed impossible that it could ever be broken. Lou spent time with his singing group occasionally, but it didn't interfere with his family life too much.