° • chapter two • °

hope you all have enjoyed these first few chapters of the story, even with my hectic and pretty much nonexistent updating schedule! it's been a ton of fun to be able to write for these characters and i've really enjoyed the writing process

hope you all have enjoyed these first few chapters of the story, even with my hectic and pretty much nonexistent updating schedule! it's been a ton of fun to be able to write for these characters and i've really enjoyed the writing process. it's kind of insane to be seeing these early chapters from a writer's perspective, to know all of the things that will happen, and that i have planned for cole and lyla in the near future, whether they be good, or bad. they haven't even met the ninja yet, and their life is only going to get crazier from here on out. their adventure and their story is just beginning.

trigger warnings : none

words: 3,080

chapter two : first steps of a journey

Cole wasn't prepared for the older man's response, and he was caught off guard. "To find me?" He found himself saying. What could this strange man possibly want with him? Should he be concerned? But then the man looked at Cole, an amused twinkle in his gentle blue eyes, and suddenly Cole knew where he'd seen him before. He was the man who had been at his mother's funeral.

"Yes, Cole." The man replied, before taking another sip of his tea. "I climbed the mountain today so I could find you. You have great potential, and the skills and qualities that I'm looking for in a student."

Now Cole was even more confused then he'd been a moment ago. The man's answer to his question didn't really provide an answer to Cole, it just caused more questions to form in his mind. "A student?" He asked. "What kind of teacher are you?"

The old man set his cup down beside the small fire and stood up with a smile. "Of course, I've forgotten to introduce myself. I am a ninja master, and one of the very few of the original Elemental Masters left. I'm not as young as I used to be, and have decided that it is time to finally pass on some of my skills to a new generation of ninja. You can call me Sensei Wu."

Cole blinked once, then stared at the man in disbelief. "You're a ninja master? My mom used to tell us stories of the ninja that once fought to preserve our peaceful land, but I always wondered if those things actually happened. Are you really saying that everything she told me was true, and that I have the potential to be a ninja?" None of it made sense to him. How could it be true?