° • chapter nine • °

it's literally been over a year since i started writing this chapter, but it's finally here! :') 

it's been such a rollercoaster to get things edited and written and posted, but i'm so grateful that we've made it to this point at long last. this last year has been incredibly difficult for me, but part of the reason that i have been able to push through and keep writing is because of all of you. thank you so much for your incredible support and love throughout this chaotic time in my life. words cannot express how much i appreciate all of you, and how much of a blessing and encouragement you have been to me through our interactions.

 i'm so proud of this chapter, messy as it is- and i have absolutely adored being able to write for zane and develop both his backstory and his character as a whole. he's such a sweet character, all of them are, and it's so sad at times to think about how much heartache and difficulty they all have ahead of them. in the meantime, though, enjoy the fluffy, found-family filled chapter and long-awaited introduction to our favorite ice ninja. things are starting to come together, and their incredible journey as friends and as teammates is just beginning.

trigger warnings : slight amnesia, references to bullying and unkind comments (plus a negative attitude toward a character in general from multiple people), some sad vibes, loneliness, isolation, disconnection from people, struggles with fitting in, and somewhat difficult goodbyes.

words : 7,072

chapter nine : where the runaways are running the night

It was early one morning, and the monastery was quiet and peaceful, except for the playful bickering that could occasionally be heard from the kitchen.

The noise wasn't loud enough to bother Sensei Wu, who was in the middle of his morning meditation, but instead caused the faintest hint of a smile to form on his face at the sound, something that he had slowly become accustomed to.

Now, the chatter and the fighting, playful or not, was almost as constant as the rising and setting of the sun each day.

Jay had been at the monastery for several weeks now, and he had come to fit in with Cole and Lyla quite well. It was amazing how quickly the three of them had bonded, practically adopting each other as their honorary siblings from the first day.