° • chapter eight • °

author's note : being able to write for a fandom that i have grown to love so much more as an adult than i did as a kid has been such an incredible experience, and i'm so grateful to have you all along for the ride as i share a story i have grown ...

author's note : being able to write for a fandom that i have grown to love so much more as an adult than i did as a kid has been such an incredible experience, and i'm so grateful to have you all along for the ride as i share a story i have grown so passionate about. it has been such fun to be able to write for the canon characters and sort of play with them a bit, while also being able to develop lyla and fit her into the events of the story in a way that i hope you all have enjoyed. hang in there, because things are only going to get crazier from here!

trigger warnings : small amounts of violence- all comedic (aka: the training course)

words : 6,938

chapter eight : qualities of a ninja master

Having stayed up fairly late the night before as a result of hanging out with Cole and learning his way around the monastery, and being worn out after the long journey he'd gone on with Wu that had taken most of the morning (and afternoon), Jay slept quite well once he made himself get to bed. He woke up early the next morning feeling exhausted, but yet excited for some reason that he couldn't seem to recall.

The faint sunshine filtering through the curtains made the lighting in the bedroom peaceful and sleepy, and Jay shifted onto his back with a soft sigh of content as he gazed up at the ceiling for a moment, studying it. He then pulled the blankets up closer to his chin, snuggling deeper into the warmth that they provided before tucking Mr. Cuddlywomp under his arm. The blue teddy bear was already showing signs of age, the material's color fading slightly but not losing its softness, and a patch or two covered the few places in which it had been a little too well-loved. He'd had it since he was five, but for some reason Jay found that he still couldn't sleep very well unless he slept with the teddy bear.

However embarrassing it was to be a teenager and still sleeping with a stuffed animal, Jay kept Mr. Cuddlywomp close to him, regardless of what anyone else said. There were few people that knew about him anyway, unless his parents had told anyone else, and the auburn-haired boy felt confident that his secret was (fairly) safe for the time being. Of course, now that he would be living in a monastery and training alongside other students, it was a possibility that they would find out about the teddy bear eventually and would probably tease him about it. But that was in the future, so he decided to cross that bridge when he came to it. There were more important things to worry about.