039 | stardust

╔══════ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄

'𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐝𝐮𝐬𝐭' ══════════╝

━━ -ˋˏ★ˎˊ- ━━

... STARKILLER BASE, ILUM

𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐕𝐘 𝐅𝐎𝐎𝐓𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐏𝐒, Lyra ran across the snow-coated ground.

In the absence of sunlight, the planet had turned dark as a winter solstice. The reactor core was burning into smoldering, melted metal, and there was no chance the laser would still be able to fire. They could have left with the rest of the Resistance, but Lyra needed to find Finn and Rey.

And there was also a matter of Kylo Ren's unsettled blood debt.

Rey and Finn had both taken off in a mad dash to the forest, scared out of their minds after witnessing what Kylo Ren had just done. Lyra was scared, too, but her disbelief that verged on anger was keeping her sane. So she ran, limbs numb and hair whipping her in the face as she stumbled over fallen logs and deeper into the ice of the looming trees.

"Finn! Rey!" Lyra called breathlessly, finally within earshot.

They both stopped and turned, giving her time to catch up. Rey's wind-burned cheeks were streaked with cold tears. "Where's Chewie?"

"He's getting the Falcon. We don't have much time to get out of here, and we need to leave before--"

An otherworldly shriek cut her off. In the long blue shadows of the forest, it was unmistakable. Kylo Ren had managed to drag himself all the way into the trees. The bastard had done it again.

"We're not done yet," he told them plainly. Without the helmet, he looked more human. It made it even harder to reconcile what Lyra had just seen, how this one person could be so utterly ruthless. He had destroyed a family and still, that was not enough to satisfy his darkness.

"You're a monster," Rey said. In a last-ditch effort, she stepped forward with her jaw set.

They stood in perfect, accidental formation. Finn to Rey's right, gripping his blaster rifle, and Lyra standing to her left, glaring ahead at the glowing red saber.

"It's just us now," Kylo Ren told them. "Han Solo can't save you."

Lyra, breathing heavily, watched as he hit himself right where Chewie had shot him. It was sickening. He was using the pain to keep his senses sharp and the dark side strong.