008 | bird in flight

╔══════════ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓

'𝐛𝐢𝐫𝐝 𝐢𝐧 𝐟𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭' ═════════════╝

━━ -ˋˏ★ˎˊ- ━━

...D'QAR, ILEENIUM SYSTEM

𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐀 𝐒𝐀𝐘𝐈𝐍𝐆, that sleep was for the dead. If so, then death was being really unfair to Lyra Endellion.

Her entire body ached and her hands were beginning to shake with restless energy. She had long since mastered the art of watching her own back, but now that Leia had made the terms of probation clear, Lyra was wary of every noise. Reeve had dropped a fork on the floor of the mess hall and Lyra was so startled from the metallic clang that she spilled a full cup of water down the front of her shirt.

Commander Endellion was not allowed to attend officer meetings. She was not allowed to leave the surface of D'Qar, sanctioned departure or otherwise. In short, she wasn't allowed to know a hint of what was going on in case she was trying to sell their information out to the First Order. It was humiliating and it only helped her contempt grow.

"Leia's sending me out again," Poe had said to her two days ago. They were in the Phoenix Squadron office going over the stolen data. It was a plain exchange. Lyra helped Poe, and he kept her updated on what was going on because the man had no ability to keep his mouth shut.

"By yourself?" Lyra quirked a brow. Ripe betrayal and a tinge of anger had bloomed in her chest, but not for Poe; it was all pointed at General Organa.

"Yeah, not by choice," he had muttered, running a hand through his hair. "Believe me, I don't like going out without the Black Squadron so soon."

"Hm," Lyra said in answer. She wrote down another name for Aliyah to look into, and then she looked up at him. "What do they think you're doing, if no one's allowed to know why you're leaving for Pheryon?"

Poe blanched. "I'm not leaving for Pheryon." Then through gritted teeth he gave up the ruse "Damn it, Endellion. No one knows where I'm going, it's not disclosed information."

"That's a bold assumption," Lyra told him. She held up her hand to the holographic projection and moved another name to their no connections to Resistance list. "But if it makes you feel better, I promise I won't tell anyone that you're going to Pheryon to meet with Suralinda Javos and retrieve intelligence for General Organa. What does the General want with a journalist, anyway?"