fifteen

"I'm not sure, Soph" I spoke, seeing her nod, pushing her glasses up on her face.

"Well- how was your day?" She asked me.

"Good- it was good" I told her.

She didn't need to know that I couldn't save seven people.

Seven people died in my hands.

"What did you do all day?" I asked her.

"I FaceTimed Meghan, watched TikTok, watched Netflix and ate grapes" she told me, managing to make me laugh.

"Is grapes all you ate today?" I asked.

"Yes, but I do plan on having dinner, so don't get mad" she told me.

"I'm not mad, angel" I spoke, looking to her.

I wish I could hug her.

We talked for a good few minutes before she let out a stretch.

"Well I'm going to cook something and eat, I'll call you before I go to sleep, okay?" She spoke to me.

"Okay baby girl, enjoy" I told her, seeing her blow me a kiss before she hung up.

I went into the house, seeing the guys.

"We fixed you food, we know you had a rough day" Michael was the first to speak.

"Thank you" I exhaled. 

"Need to talk?" Ashton asked calmly.

"Thomas Martin
Sabrina Hepburn
Amilia Harper
Cadence Grier
Cameron Deshotel
Markus Sumbler
And
Julia Romero"

I spoke, watching confusion take over their faces

"That's the seven patients I lost today." I told them, eating a bite of food as I did.

"Luke-" "and worst of all is that we don't allow family into the hospital anymore, so they died alone. No one was there with them. I had to tell their families without being able to let the family say their goodbyes unless it was through FaceTime." I told them.

"You can't keep your loses in your head, you know that." Calum told me.

"Then we have to figure out how to get some wins."

Calum.

He was down, it was horrible to watch.

"Guys it was like walking into a never ending code- I would get one stable, another would go off- it was fucking insane." He told us.

And then a pager went off- Ashton's.

"Don't go" Luke spoke.

"It's 911, I'm going" he spoke.

"Ashton" he spoke, stopping him from walking out the door.

"Mentally prepare yourself, you're about to walk into Death Valley."

As Michael, Luke and I sat there discussing the virus, I noticed a Luke talked less and less until I looked up- seeing he had fallen asleep.

"Come on Luke- let's go to bed." I spoke, touching his shoulder.

Snoring.

Michael and I managed to wake him enough to walk, but I realized he was exhausted.

We got him in bed, where he sat back up.

"I have to stay awake- Sophia's going to call me before she goes to sleep." He spoke, groggy.

"Go ahead and go to sleep, I'll call her and tell her you were tired, you can talk to her first thing in the morning."

He laid down, so I assumed that was his was of saying "okay"

I walked out, shutting his door

God, please let this get better