Chapter 4

Joohyun tread the passageways of Hogwarts, doing her night patrol to ensure that no student tried to sneak out of their quarters for whatever mischief they had in mind. All she wanted was to return to her dorm, have a hot shower and sleep. Evidently that wasn’t going to happen until her duty was complete, and she cursed herself for taking up the role of Head Girl.

Closing her eyes, she retracted her regret at taking up the role. She wanted the role, to serve the faculty and lead its students. Joohyun would not give up. What Joohyun started, she would finish. Her re-invigorated determination manifested itself in her movement, transforming her steps from a fatigued shamble to a purposeful stride. She took extra care in her footsteps, not wanting any sound to reverberate across the hallways. It wouldn’t do to alert anyone of her presence.

Passing by corridor after corridor, An eerie silence pervaded the hallways, a stark contrast to the bustling noise of the day when students passed by chatting away. Many would find such silence unnerving but Joohyun actually found comfort in it. As Head Girl, her life was filled with noise, be it attending lessons or meetings. Joohyun found solace and peace in her nightly rounds, the silence taking her away from the stresses of life.

Joohyun rounded a corner and looked up to find another hallway…. and the telltale coattail of a student’s garment disappearing into an alley on the right. So quick was the movement that Joohyun thought it was her imagination at first…until she heard footsteps from that direction. Evidently, she wasn’t imagining things. Rushing silently to the alley, she was confronted by a small hallway with several rooms and she paused, unable to hear the footsteps. The person had stopped moving.

Joohyun closed her eyes and slowed her breathing, focusing on listening to any sound that was out of place.
Nothing.

Then suddenly, she heard it. The sound of shoes dragging on the floor to her right. It was slight, but she heard it. The person must have been trying to shift slightly but made a mistake. Joohyun silently crept to the door on her right and looked behind the door.

Before her stood a young Hufflepuff student clutching a textbook, eyes wide open in terror. Joohyun stood before the boy and folded her arms.

“Care to explain what you’re doing out at this time?,” said Joohyun icily.

“I…I forgot to bri…. bring back m.. my textbook from the courtyard,” stammered the young boy.

Joohyun narrowed her eyes to slits, trying to appear intimidating to see if he would say anything further that might clue her to any hidden intentions.

“That’s all.. rea…. really. I’m sorry. I didn’t want to have to get another one so I came out to get it back, squealed thr young boy.

Joohyun stared a little longer before letting out a slight huff. He didn’t seem to be hiding anything.

“Well look what we have here,” came a voice from behind her.

Joohyun whirled around to find Seungwan staring with a mischievous glint in her eye.

“What are you doing here?,” asked Joohyun. Seungwan should have been in another area.

“I finished my rounds but I saw you take off just now, I couldn’t resist seeing who was the unlucky one to catch your attention,” said Seungwan with a smile.

Trust the studious and rule-abiding Seungwan to take pleasure in the suffering of others.

“What’s your name and what year are you in,” asked Joohyun as she turned her attention back to him.

“So…Song YuVin. F…. first year,” replied the boy.

“Well YuVin…. You’re going back to your dorm, and thanks to you, Hufflepuff loses 5 points,” said Joohyun.