Chapter 15: A lava tube

Wilshire and Western, 6:52 am

Amy: Go!

A subway hatch is pulled open by Amy and Jennifer's jeep. Mike, Kenny, and the heroes have made it to their location. They're now checking the Red Line. As the hatch opens, steam comes out of the hatch. Mike gets out of the jeep, and walks over to them as everyone looks at the hatch. 

Amy: We're right over the Red Line. 

Mike: (Points at the steam) That steam could come from anywhere. Maybe the earthquake broke a water main. 

Amy: Right. How'd it get heated?

Mike: (Looks at it) I don't know.

Riku: (Looks down) I can't see anything down there. It's too dark. 

Sae: Well, someone needs to go down there to check it out.

Amy: Right. (To Mike) Come on. You've got to lower me down there.

Mike: I'm not letting you go down there.

Amy: Why, it's too dangerous? 

Mike: Yes.

Amy: I thought it was a water main. 

Mike: Alright, I'll go. 

Amy: You'll go? 

Mike: Yes. 

Amy: How you gonna get up? We're gonna lift you?

Mike: I'm not letting you go.

Jennifer: He's right. I'm not letting you go down there. 

Kenny: Well, you're not going down there either. (Looks at the heroes) And we're not gonna let you go down there.

Momo: Then what are we gonna do?

Mike thinks as he looks down the hatch. A couple of minutes later, a video camera is being lower down the hatch of the subway by a rope. It spins around as it gets lower down. Everyone is holding it as they lower it down. Ash is coming down with it down into the subway. Donald and Sae look at the monitor to see what the camera is looking at. 

Amy: Oh, gosh, this is so stupid. This city's finally paying for its arrogance. 

Mike: Which particular arrogance is that?

Amy: Building a subway under land that's seismically active. 

Mike: Yeah. It was a foolish man that built his house upon the sand. 

Amy: Matthews 7:26. Favorite among geologists.

They both smile at each other. Kenny and Jennifer see this, and smile too. Mike and Amy really do like each other. Kai and the others smile too. They all look at the monitor, and see that the camera has reached the tunnel, and is looking at it. They see the lights on the wall in the tunnel, and the tunnel is clear. 

Donald: Alright, there's the tunnel. I don't see anything.

Amy: Hmm. What way are we facing, west?

Mike: I don't know.

Amy and Jennifer look down as Mike, Kenny, and the others hold the rope. The girls can't see much of anything down because of the ash coming down into the hole. 

Amy: We can't see anything. 

Jennifer: So much ash. It's blocking the view down below mostly. 

In the tunnel, the camera turns around the other way. But as it does...a bright orange light shines on it as it looks at the light. And evil laughing is heard. Back above, everyone's eyes widen as they look at the monitor.