Chapter 5: Family values and conjecture

Mike takes everyone back to the office, and they start working real hard. Josh and Kenny are at their desks, writing paperwork. Mike is standing against the railing, calling Kelly. Sora and his friends look around the place, but not touching anything. Kai and his friends are in Mike's office, sitting down. Kai removes his bandages, seeing the burns have stopped hurting. He sighs as he watches his uncle talk on the phone. 

Mike: (Talks on phone) Well, we've got a bit of a situation here, honey. We'll come home with Kai soon as we can. 

Kelly on phone: But tomorrow we get to go to O.J.'s house and then the Beverly Center, right? 

Mike: I thought we talked about Disneyland. 

Kelly on phone: Dad, we talked about getting my nose pierced.

Mike: Uh, not in this life, baby. (Feels a tap, and turns around to see a man) We'll be home soon as we can. (Hangs up, to man as he walks with him) Hi, what can I do for you here?

Man: You can't do this. What, you're talking about 10,000 customers with no cooking, n-n-no heat--

Mike: The gas will be restored as soon as it's safe. 

Man: When is that going to be? You're talking about sending a crew to every single house to turn on every dang pilot. This could take weeks if not more.

Mike: (Sees Kenny and Emmit looking at him with amused looks, to man) Oh, excuse me just one second, please. 

He walks over to them as he leans on a desk. Kenny and Emmit look at him.

Emmit: Having fun yet? 

Mike: I'm starting to miss the Mississippi. 

Kenny: Me too.

Emmit: The mud, floods--

Woman: Mike, you have a call on your private line.

Mike: Oh, that'll be my little girl wanting a tattoo. (To Emmit) Help me with this guy, please. 

Emmit nods, and walks over to the man. Mike answers the line as he stands by Josh. Kenny also stands him.

Mike: How you doing, darling?

Woman on line: Why the heck did you and Josh leave Kelly on her own? 

Mike: Oh, Wendy, hi. How are you?

Josh rolls his eyes as he hears his mom's voice. Kenny shakes his head at this. Sora and his friends hear him talking along with Kai and his friends. Emmit leads the man away from the argument.

Wendy on line: Pulling one of your usual stunts--

Mike: What do you mean, one of my usual stunts? It was an earthquake, Wendy. 

Wendy on line: You know she hates earthquakes. She's only 13.

Mike: Nobody likes an earthquake! 

Wendy on line: So she's been alone--

Mike: She has not been alone all day. I left her with a babysitter. 

Wendy on line: What babysitter?

Mike: A neighbor. 

Wendy on line: Well, how will she suppose to know what to do if there's another earthquake? You know how she freezes up when--

Mike: Kelly knows precisely what to do in the event--

Wendy on line: You never change, Mike. (Hangs up)

Mike: Hello? Hello?

The dial tone is heard on the line. Mike looks at Kenny, Josh, and Emmit, who just finished talking to the man.